Benefits of Coconut Oil on Black Hair

by West Parsons on July 25, 2011 · 10 comments

in hair care

As of lately, I have been doing a lot of experimenting with my hair when it comes to oils, water, heat and steam. One of the current oils of focus happens to be coconut oil.  Along with experimenting, I’ve been searching for reputable articles online which may help to explain my experiences. The information below presented by Audrey Sivasothy, the author of The Science of Black Hair Care: A Comprehensive Guide to Textured Hair Care, offered a great deal of insight into my experiences with coconut oil.

” The Marico Industries researchers also found that using coconut oil as pre-shampoo treatment is better than using it post-wash. This is partly owing to the fact that coconut oil only seems to penetrate wet hair fibers.

Coconut oil is an excellent hair oil for black and textured hair types. Research shows that coconut oil performs better as a pre-treatment before the hair is shampooed, but also works excellently as sealant on dry hair. Many black women suffer from hair porosity issues as a result of our styling choices. Coconut oil’s ability to prevent protein loss and reduce hair porosity makes it a valuable oil for those who chemically relax, regularly heat straighten, or permanently color their hair.

Many complain of coconut oil leaving their hair feeling hay-like and hard.  I too have had that experience, but I can now say it is as a result of what step coconut oil is used in my routine.  Lately, I’ve been using coconut oil in an unconventional manner which seems to be resulting in my hair appearing more moisturized as my curl definition has improved, frizz has reduced, less single strand knots are appearing, strands are shiny, and the hair feels noticeably smoother.

The first pic was taken a few weeks ago when I reviewed Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee [+] and the second pic was taken with use of  coconut oil steam treatment  along with the Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee this weekend.

Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee

coconut oil steam treatment  + Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee

Check out my pictorial on how I made coconut oil at home.

Do you use coconut oil in your hair routine? How?

Emma July 25, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Yes I use coconut oil in my hair routine in two ways.

Firstly I use it as an oil rinse, after shampooing I will dowse my hair in coconut oil rinse and then deep condition, the results are amazing. I also use it to seal moisture into my hair. I only use 100% organic unrefined coconut oil…

Charissa July 26, 2011 at 9:23 am

Yes, I use coconut oil every day to seal in moisture. I do this in the morning and in the evening (unless I overdid it the application before 😉 ).

Vonmiwi July 26, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I visit a lot of the “natural hair” blogs and such for reading since many of our magazines don’t offer much on this revolution of self-definement like most blogs do. I’ve been wearing my hair in the manner in which it grows for much of my life because to me there is no other way. It is who I am and I can’t change it.
I’m not into the product overload and coconut oil has always been a mainstay for me. Water, aloe vera, grape seed oil or any other natural oils will do for me and nothing else.

Michelle @Radiant Brown Beauty July 27, 2011 at 10:30 am

What a difference in your hair from before and after the coconut oil! I have not used straight coconut oil on my hair but I used vatika oil to pre-poo and it was a tangled mess.

i want to try the Ghee soon.

SweetBonita July 29, 2011 at 6:51 am

Just so I can be sure i understand how you use it, after your overnight DC, you smooth coconut oil on your hair, pin it up and sit under the heutiful steamer, and then rince it with cold water, and THEN detangle/moisturize with the detangling ghee?

Or do i have those steps in the wrong order?

Thanks!

westNDNbeauty July 29, 2011 at 1:32 pm

You have it correct. Just to be sure, I do rinse the DC before applying the oil.

yenlin September 13, 2011 at 6:00 am

yes, i used coconut oil overnight then shower in the morning,

Isah May 22, 2012 at 7:23 am

i love using coconut oil. I get mine from coastalscents.com and it is pure coconut oil. Works great and gives me so much shine. In he winter though it is too thick on my hair and will tend to leave white residue so I have to dilute it sometimes.

Rene August 25, 2013 at 1:37 pm

What process did you use as far as steamimg with coconut oil? Also did you steam as a prepoo or was it your final step?

Thanking you in advance for your response.

westNDNbeauty August 25, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Hi Rene! I deep conditioned as usual. Rinsed that out. Coated my hair with oil and then went under the steamer. I rinsed with cold water after 20 minutes.