Curls Kinks Coils – Nicki Minaj: Nappy Headed Hoe?

by West Parsons on July 27, 2011 · 9 comments

in celebrities, curls kinks coils, fashion

Earlier this year there was much to say about Nicki Minaj’s Did It On ‘Em single where she versed lyrics using the phrase “nappy headed hoes” which caused a little turbulence amongst those in the Natural Hair community.  Just recently I came across these pics of Ms. Minaj on Black Book Magazine which I thought were quite refreshing and ironic;  refreshing because its a different look than her long, blonde, outlandish  barbie wig and ironic because the texture is very similar to nappy, if not outright so.

What are your thoughts on this look?

Roni July 27, 2011 at 12:43 pm

She is a big hypocrite! She bashes women with natural hair but then turns around and wears a natural hair wig. She’s confused obviously. That is all I have to say about this one.

Ariel Jones July 27, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Ummm. That chick has so many personalities and wigs and what have you, I bet she forgets who she’s looking at in the mirror. We don’t know who she IS either. Let her do what she wants , I don’t pay too much attention to her. Even writing this is a contradiction.

tiashauntee July 27, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I am not a Nicki Minaj fan but I must say that I love her looks in this photo shoot. The Butterfly jacket/skirt combo is my fave!

Nicki is smart. She is playing a role and she is not the idiot that she portrays. Controversy and gimmicks sell records.

Veronicfa July 27, 2011 at 7:03 pm

These photos are nice! An afro wig though is nothing knew for Nick. One of her most popular wigs is the “Marge” wig. she has been wearing it since she first came out and has it in more colors than one.

I like this look on her but overall Nicki Minaj persona is just a total gimmick and her goal is to catch attention, be controversial to get folks riled up. (this, you already know but just adding to the discussion =) ) She’s done a great job of it I tell ya and laughing allllll the way to the bank.

juicy July 27, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I like the look. additionally i feel people took the lyric too far. I know its not right but in my community we use the term nappy to mean “your looks bad” weathers its perm, fried, relaxed, wavy or actually nappy. I dont think the lyrics had anything to do with denouncing natural hair as a whole. (like i said i know its not right, now). its how i grew up, kinky did not equal bad, nor did natural, but nappy was practically equvalent to unkempt. and if u have permed hair and its nappy, u probably do need a perminator…. juss sayin.

Michelle @Radiant Brown Beauty July 28, 2011 at 3:39 pm

LOL good point out. Although you know some ppl feel if their hair is a certain way they can say things about other ppl that have said about theirs. Kinda like some black ppl think they can call other black ppl niggas but don’t let a white person say it. I don’t get it either way but good move pulling out thiese pics. Classic!

Chi Chi July 29, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I love the look on her, but do NOT like her image. That being said, I really hope she finds the irony in her lyrics.

Ashley September 3, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Whoever was offended obviously takes life too seriously and may want to get a sense of humor. You have to take her image and personality into account. Also, Nicki wasn’t even the one who said those lyrics in the song. It was her hype man in the background. She wasn’t bashing naturals. The whole point of the song is your average braggadocios rapper talking about how cool they are and denouncing all competition. We all know we’ve stooped low to call someone we didn’t like “nappy-headed”, a “hoe” or whatever. It’s nothing new, so I think people blew that whole issue out of proportion.

{ 1 trackback }