Natural Hair Sorority – Will You Pledge?

by West Parsons on August 27, 2011 · 17 comments

in entertainment, in the news

The ladies pictured above are apart of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated. They make up a group of women who use their collective strength to promote academic excellence to provide scholarships, support to the underserved, educate & stimulate participation in the establishment of positive public policy, and to highlight issues and provide solutions for problems in their communities. Through this all, these women form a special bond and sisterhood that is unmatched.  This is also true for other Greek organizations such as Alpha Kappa Alpha, Zeta Phi Beta, and Sigma Gamma Rho.

Within the Natural Hair community, we also tend to form bonds, build camaraderie and act as support systems for one another as we venture along the journey of being our unaltered selves.  With the likes of hair forums and blogs that seem to have taken over the interwebs, many have thought this to be an unspoken sisterhood.

No longer unspoken; while surfing the web, I came across an actual real and true sorority geared towards women with Natural hair called Pi Nappa Kappa.  They have a Facebook page and a website where you can pledge.

(photo source)

Will you  be pledging?

Ryan August 27, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I am actually surprised that a sorority of this kind even exist. I think it is actually a neat idea. I think it would give a person a sense of personal pride for ones’ natural hair.

nika August 27, 2011 at 11:00 pm

That’s why the hair is on top of your head, so people can see. Thats a little weird and to have one about natural hair sounds occult like….

cal July 10, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Nika, girl….I totally just came to read the article butttttt – I just wanted to be the first person, 4 years later to say, I don’t really think hair is on our heads for other people :/….doesn’t make sense. That is crazy.

India August 27, 2011 at 6:31 pm

I just saw your video, WHICH I want to say “thanks for keeping it real”. There is absolutely nothing wrong with showing your “homey” side every once in a while. So what you hadn’t taken your hair down, we all look like that a some point in the day. 😛 As far as pledging… I like what they are saying. I want to see where this goes honestly. I stand for those values and instill them in my family everyday with out pledging it. So…. I want to see whats up with it before I’m virtually signing my name.

Michelle @Radiant Brown Beauty August 27, 2011 at 6:36 pm

What’s funny is most of the women in the picture look like they have relaxers LOL. OK I know it’s not related just wanted to point that out 🙂

What strikes me is the name of the sorority. Not all naturals have “nappy” hair.

While it does seem a little silly, I do see the need for some women to join “organizations,” “causes,” and challenges in order to stay focused on their natural hair journey.

Raine August 27, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I have no intentions of pledging this sorority, but I’m gonna check out their website and facebook. I’m curious, it’s kinda humorous to me :). With all the forums, YouTube and Meetups going on, I see no need for an all natural hair sorority. Depending on their mission, I feel it can be taken in two ways #1 Dividing “us” naturals from “them” non-naturals or #2 Encouraging natural haired sisterhood. I wish them all the best!

Nell August 27, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I am not a Greek….so I may be biased, LOL. I would not join it. Next they are going to have a relaxed sorority….it is silly, LOL. I am all for us embracing our natural texture, but I think that is a bit too far…. If ppl want to do it then they should, but I am not going to.

That is just another to cause division amongest ourselves. If you want to relax your hair..do it. If you want to be natural…do it. It is not that serious

Destinee August 27, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I agree. I did a post about this on my blog a couple weeks back. I see where they are trying to take it but it just seems like a mockery to me. We can come together without having to differentiate with a sorority for hair. I mean really. I think it is totally unnecessary and dare I say, silly. Its JUST hair!

I dont knock anyone who has or will join, I just wont be apart. To each his own. *shrug*

nika August 27, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Totally agree! I will not pledge! Why can’t we enjoy our hair creating absurdities about it…. seriously though?

Jenny August 27, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I understand where the group is coming from, but to me it’s unnecessary to have a sorority. What happens if you join the org and you decide to get a relaxer lol. There is nothing wrong with having meetups, or groups of interest on a campus for instance, but a greek org? #haveaseat

Rachel August 27, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I think it’s a bit much. It may start out innocently, but it seems in the end it will just cause another division among black women.

KayJay August 27, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I’m an AKA…I really don’t think there’s a need for a natural hair “sorority.” It just seems a little extra to me that I would need to take a pledge to have a support system of those with hair like mines. I looked at the site and saw that they have nalia, signs, line numbers, and secret sorority info…its all a bit much to me and just not that serious. To each her own…

Doc August 30, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I absolutely agree. Sororities were established for a reason (and natural hair had nothing to do with it) so for people to just start making up Greek letters (nappa) is absurd to me. And yes I am in a sorority, so I may be a little biased. Quite frankly I’m tired of seeing everything being turned into a Greek organization. It’s beginning to lose its meaning. And not every natural has “nappa” (nappy) hair.
ZphiB

Trulibeauti August 28, 2011 at 12:28 am

I joined and I think it fun! I agreed with what its promoting and all the ladies that have joined have been wonderful. I AM NOT A SPOKESPERSON for them. I just subscribe to the idea of promoting natural beauty in a positive no matter what the source. I think its fun!

Krys August 28, 2011 at 1:40 am

don’t see the point. i wont be “pledging”

Tamera August 28, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Oh Lord… As an HBCU grad, I can attest to the fact that there was nothing more annoying on my campus than people trying to make every dang thing a Greek organization. Modeling groups, religious groups, dorms, everybody who wasn’t Greek wanted to make their club or organization Greek. I’m not Greek, but I still found that to be extremely annoying.

This just seems like everybody else said: silly. What kind of secrets could a natural hair sorority hold that girls who don’t pledge can’t get from all the blogs and forums? We’re all natural together, there’s no dang reason for a natural hair sorority. A mess.

Angel May 1, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I am actually a part of a BGLO and a part of Pi Nappa Kappa! Its awesome.. why not? my husband is a black greek and part of a national honor frat, and my grandmother is a BGLO and a mason… why not? I deal with my hair on more of a regular than I do people outside of my family lol.. its beautiful way to learn about ways of caring for your natural hair if thats your lifestyle and protecting it and teaching your generations.. theres so much guidance out there for relaxers and those that are not locked or those that wear ther fro’s or press and braid and do not wear chemically treated hair. … Im going to cosmetology school after obtaining my degrees.. why not, if its something Im actively involved with , why not network with a group of people with the same ideas and focus? the group doesnt bash anyone that choses to stay relaxed or have alternatives.. its not just for african textured or coarse hair… there are people that have silky straight hair that dont chemically alter the texture of their hair to make it curly as well.. we have all textured sorors from type 1, silky striaght, to 4c, course african type hair… its healthy for me… may not be for everyone, just like Alpha Kappa Alpha, Inc. isnt for everyone.. or the NRA isnt for everyone.. and im a part of both… and ex airforce… you do whats for you and dont do what nots for you.