My Kinky Curly Weave – The Video

by West Parsons on November 1, 2011 · 24 comments

in my hair, peek into my world

This video details my experience at Kariah Salon in Stone Mountain, GA.

MORE: The 2nd Re-Installation of this Hair by Tamika Bell Salon

Tiffers November 1, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I will definitely not go there. If you ever want a sew in again maybe you should try Salon Theory. I have read reviews on them on Yelp (search Toni Neal or Salon Theory). The owner Toni does the sew in and she works with natural hair. I recently just went there to get a silk press w/ Heather ( the Natural Hair specialist) and I love it.

Destinee November 1, 2011 at 11:22 pm

OMG I am soooo sorry! For this reason is why I have stayed far far away from salons since I’ve become natural. SMH

nika November 1, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Now west? You knew better from the beginning about how many hair salons are :/
Rat tooth comb? Should have been time to go..smh

Gen November 2, 2011 at 12:30 am

Wow!!! As much as I’d want to have a break from my regimen I don’t trust people with my hair. This salon seems not only poorly versed in natural hair but highly textured weaves. I am convinced that having a cosmetology degree doesn’t always make someone an expert. I know a few hair gurus on youtube and the forums that could probably run circles around some of these hair stylist. LOL!

Jeannette November 2, 2011 at 1:27 am

You’ve got some serious patience!

VPorter November 2, 2011 at 10:13 am

I’m really curious where you got your hair from. Its perfect twist- out hair!

Pam November 2, 2011 at 10:26 am

i feel you! thats why a lot of black hair salons dont make it! i would have definately been upset. I mean why are you cancelling appointemnts and turning down money?!

hehe November 2, 2011 at 11:09 am

Wow hearing your story made me angry like it’s my hair. You should blow up everyone who did a ratchet job on your install.

Michele November 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm

See…..this is exactly why i hate going to the beauty salon. I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I would love to get a “natural” weave but after seeing this post i am scared. I love the hair btw, because it seems to match your texture perfectly. Mine, not so much. Can you recommend a solon in South Fl that could do this?

Sarah November 2, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I’m cracking up while I watch this. I feel like I’m watching a stand up comedy act. I’m sorry you had a bad expereince sis. Thanks for posting this rant because it’s just what I needed to lighten my mood after a long day a work.

Dee November 2, 2011 at 8:46 pm

You crazy, Lol!! Is that how God sounds? and he says YO!!! too much!

Anyway I agree with other poster I hate to say it but that’s why so many black businesses fail just not professional at all. Or else they wanna charge you 5x what other folks do e.g. Miss Jessies salon.

This is why I no longer patronize salons thank God for do it yourself and LHCF and folks like you to help us learn to do it on our own.

Msknowitall November 3, 2011 at 11:00 am

You are so funny!

Sonjarena November 3, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Oooo that’s wrong, sooo wrong. Stay away from the salons if they aren’t natural hair educated.

Amber November 4, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Being on LHCF, I thought you would have been walked on them. I’m still not sure why you didn’t speak up or walk on when they began mishandling your hair. I will say that your hair does look nice, but I do not feel it was worth the headache.

Tif-fro-nee November 7, 2011 at 7:15 pm

West, I am so sorry about your experience….I was a victim of unprofessionalism as well. The owner and the staff are very rude and extremely loud. I scheduled an appointment with the owner and she made it apparent that she really didn’t have time to do my installment, at the time of arrival. They installed jacked-up, natural (virgin curly) weave in my head that was a complete abomination. This was my first and last time dealing with installments and salons. I would never recommend anyone to this salon. They do not know how to maintain natural hair at all….and they would not install the hair the way I preferred….I can’t deal with untactfulness…. I can’t do anything, but smdh..

Kiesha December 9, 2011 at 8:13 pm

You’re on the money !!! don’t go to this salon GHETTO and can’t do weaves or hair at all.

Cinderellataylor December 22, 2011 at 6:47 pm

West I love the hair though…. Sorry about the drama.. What type of hair did u get? and where? I am in Atlanta as well. I wanna try to do it myself.. I am terrifiied of salons

Erin B. April 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I would love it if you would post some of your hair salon experiences (good and bad) on my new site, http://www.ineedablackhairstylist.com

Your voice needs to be heard!!!

T May 12, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I think this is a cute but true video… I use to go there but after the second time… It was over! Lol

westNDNbeauty May 13, 2012 at 1:09 pm

There seems to be an overall consensus lol

Nashma June 6, 2012 at 8:29 am

I am so sorry to hear about your bad experience. That is why I thought myself how to braid my own natural hair, because Salon employees do not know to to go amongst natural black kinky hair..
Anyway I had a question for you; I have been natural for 17 years now and was wondering what is it exactly that you use for your hair to grow faster, because I have been having problems with breakage, split ends etc. and cannot find the right products here in the Netherlands where I am doing my studies, for my natural hair.. I also love the weave your wearing and would like to know the name of it and maybe you might have some tips for me on where I can purchase that sort of hair..
Tahnks you for your story…
Cao.

westNDNbeauty June 6, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Hi Nashma,
Honestly, there is no trick to hair growth. The work is in how you maintain the strands on your head and how well you care for your hair especially the ends. The ends of your hair is what breaks which results in the appearance of stagnant growth. My suggestion to you would be to find a regimen that works with your schedule in maintaining your hair which includes weekly to bi-weekly deep conditioning, and moisturizing, and sealing of your ends daily (depending on how dry your hair feels). You have to find products that work well for you which may include a little trial and error. Make sure to pay more attention to ingredients and not necessarily what is on the front label of products.

Also, the post has been updated with a link for more details about the hair.

tonya January 30, 2013 at 10:42 am

I like the hair it is beautiful. can you tell me the name brand and where I can get it from.

westNDNbeauty January 30, 2013 at 5:58 pm