B.A.S.K. Beauty — A Qhemet Biologics Dupe?

by West Parsons on February 27, 2012 · 33 comments

in my hair, product review

My hair styled with Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee (2011)

My hair styled with B.A.S.K. Beauty products (2012)

WHY COMPARE?
Ever since finding Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee it seems like I have been on a mission to find a moisturizer that compares. For my hair, a moisturizer, a GOOD moisturizer, seems like the hardest thing to come by. I’ve been using Purabody Naturals Murumuru Moisture Milk as a moisturizer for stretching and then following with CTDG as a final moisturizer and styler for braid-outs and twist-outs. I used the MMM because its moisturizing performance was similar to CTDG. Also, using it in the stretching process allowed my jar of CTDG to last longer (as compared to using the CTDG for stretching, moisture and styling).

Anywho! If you are a fan of Qhemet Biologics you know their online store has been closed since mid December.  Their website stated their holiday sale was scheduled to take place late December. We are now in March and their online store is still closed and the sale date is indefinite. Yes, Qhemet has made provisions for their products to be available at retailers, such as Sage Naturalceuticals, while their online store is closed, but a sale is a sale is a sale and I’ve been patiently waiting.

I came to realize, having such a dependency on one brand is probably not a good idea, especially when that brand has closed up shop for what is now almost 3 months. Time to explore 🙂

READ MORE: A Review of Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee

HOW I BASKed.
I dove right into B.A.S.K. Beauty and reviewed their Y.A.M. Intense Hair Nourisher in January. Loved it! That alone made me want to explore more of their products.  I decided to order during their most recent sale and walked away with a few products, including their Sweet Treats sampler pack. Dolls! This stuff is something to write home about.  The scent of the products alone is divine.  I especially love the Silk & Honey Latte Detangling Hair Milk in necatrine vanilla – mmmmm!

WHAT’S THE BIG DEAL?
My and many other Naturals’ hair goals includes the use of products which allow our hair to be at its best without too much fuss. Just the same as Qhemet, B.A.S.K. Beauty products allowed for my hair to feel extremely moisturized without that greasy and weighted feeling. My hair maintained its hold and softness for several days.  The swang and shine were crazy and frizz was kept at a minimum. Too boot, I made it a point to use all of the styling products in the Sweet Treats Hair Sampler (palm tapioca, java bean & honey styling balm, seven fold butter blend) and the Silk & Honey Detangling Milk  one after each other in the styling process.  I was really expecting build-up and maybe dull looking hair because of that. Nope!  The pic you see below is a result of using ALL 4 of the products on two consecutive days. My hair soaked that goodness right up and kept it pushin’ all the while smelling like yummy goodness!

Getting to the point, the very first picture in this post is what my hair looks like with the use of Qhemet Biologics.  The picture below is my hair when using B.A.S.K Beauty products.

READ MORE: An Alternative to Wearing Your Hair Out — Don A Snood!

Other BASK Product Reviews
Cacao Bark Deep Treatmentt
Y.A.M. Nectar Intense Honey Hair Nourisher
Vanilla Whiskey Reparative Hair Soak
Apple & Sorghum Supple Hair Syrup
Fatty Coconut Cleansing Hair Froth

Do you think the results are similar?

AmeeraNakisha February 27, 2012 at 11:01 am

I think it looks great, maybe even better. I normally use the CTDG but I ran out and was devestated!!! I ordered a few products from B.A.S.K (Palm Tapioca Deluxe Hair Cream, Sevenfold Butter and Detangling Milk) and used the Palm Tapioca last night and my hair is back on swang status. Its soooo soft, I love it!

westNDNbeauty February 27, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I don’t think you will be disappointed with that order. Come back and let me know how things go 🙂

Kola February 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm

your hair looks fantastic! haven’t tried qhemet but bask sounds like an amazing line.
you’re messing with my resolve against PJ-ism, West Lol

westNDNbeauty February 27, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Thanks! ohhhh I so feel you on that. I’m supposed to be giving up buying for lent and I am having a hard time with this, even with me just ordering last week.

RnMechel February 27, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I’m a newbie to the Qhemet’s line. I did get to try and still have the most popular items. My hair agrees with the majority, it loves them. As for the b.a.s.k. I have to say the customer service is stellar and my hair loves the Honey latte milk( I believe that’s what the milk is called) unfortunately when I purchased the Y.A.M. and the uhmmm what’s the other name ah yeah Java Bean and Honey the smell was to strong so I placed both of those items on Lola’s green hair board. I will however purchase the Palm Tapioca (hope my sinus’ can take the fragrance) and that milk will always be in rotation. Your hair look fab

westNDNbeauty February 27, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Thanks Doll! Personally, the only scent that lingers longer than a few hours to me is the Silk & Honey Latte. Everything else pretty much dissipates once used.

Vonnie (socialitedreams) February 28, 2012 at 12:48 am

super similar and gorgeous! i like the sound of this new line

Michelle @Radiant Brown Beauty February 28, 2012 at 9:51 am

OK you have me wanting to try this. I actually think your hair looks better with the B.A.S.K. i’m going to get the sampler to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Nikki White February 28, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Hmmm. I see a little more shine in the latter pic ms. West, but either way your hair looks fab as always! I’m in year two of my natural hair odyssey and still trying to find that perfect blend/balance, so I’ll definitely try this and keep you posted

westNDNbeauty February 28, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Hi Nik!
Thanks! The BASK do does have a little bling doesn’t it.

“odessey” – lol. It definitely can be like that sometimes. Please let me know how it goes!

KayJay at Refined & Polished February 28, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Yes ma’am! This looks great! I had more shine with BASK as well.

westNDNbeauty February 28, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Thanks! What was your final product in the layering process?

Lenah February 28, 2012 at 9:13 pm

First, I want your hair!!! Second, I’m a shameless PJ and I’m definitely going to try this stuff! I love Qhemet’s Olive and Honey Hydrating balm (I use it with Hair Rules Hydrating Finishing Cream) because my hair ends up soft without a heavy greasy feeling. My twist outs never look as great as yours, though **hair envy**. BTW: I think the last pic is just a bit better.

renee February 28, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I feel ya about QB. They got me hooked last year and now you have to hunt down the products before they sell out. I just got my twist and hydrate butter and the cocoa tree ghee last week and I’m loving it. But I stalked Sage Natural for like two weeks. I’ve heard great things about BASK and with QB being on hiatus for months I think I’m on the hunt for a new moisturizer. Thanks for the pic comparison.

Joan March 1, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Thanks for the information.I have been on the search for a staple line so I can give up being a PJ. I too have been waiting to try Qhemet (have read so many good reviews) but recently became discouarge because online shop has been closed since December. Going to have check out B.A.S.K. I have never heard of this line but your hair looks Amazing.

destine2grow March 24, 2012 at 10:39 pm

The results are very similar. I would have to say that the bask products makes your hair look shiner. Where can I purchase the bask products from? Thanks for reviewing!

westNDNbeauty April 29, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Hi Destine,
Basks website is http://www.BaskBeauty.com

Sylvia April 29, 2012 at 11:17 am

This was a great post! I love product comparisons. I really want to try the Coco Detangling Ghee. I noticed that you had to use all four Bask products to get the same results as using one Qhemet product. Do you think Bask products are worth the price, especially when you have to purchase more than one product to see the results you want? Also, how does the Silk & Honey Detangling Milk compare to the Coco Detangling Ghee when it comes to detangling? What about high humidity? Thanks! (:

westNDNbeauty April 29, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Hi Sylvia,

I purchased the BASK products because Qhemet was inaccessible at the time. Actually, the store is still closed and Sage Naturalceuticals (temporary online seller of Qhemet products) sells out very quickly. Do I think the BASK products are worth the price. Yes. I say this because they are a great alternative to garner the results that I am used to with the CTDG. Even though multiple BASK products were required, I would still purchase. I really think the only 2 products I would need from BASK to duplicate the results of CTDG is the silk honey latte detangling milk and the sevenfold butter. In all honesty, the BASKs detangling milk has major slip (more than CTDG) and the nectarine vanilla scent is heaven! But the sevenfold butter is needed to seal and ensure multiple days of moisture as compared to the CTDG which pretty much is able to get the job done on its own. Since using BASK I haven’t experienced note worthy humidity, but the definition maintained throughout the week with 5 loose twists at night to maintain.

Hope I’ve answered your questions! Thanks for commenting 🙂

Sylvia April 29, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Thank you for answering my questions! I am hoping Qhemet will open sometime soon… But I’ll keep BASK in mind. (: It’s great you posted this because I had not heard of BASK.

GoldenBlaze March 22, 2013 at 6:24 pm

The BASK products look way better on your hair than Qhemet. Im sure Qhemet is good, but for your texture, it appears that the BASK is more nourishing. I wanted to try the Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee but because it appears that I am at the mercy of an owner that chooses to keep her products out of stock, I believe I am going to roll with the Silk & Honey Latte Hair milk and forget about the Ghee. Plus the Latte is much cheaper. I will be purchasing the Latte! Nice review!

Aisa @forusnaturals December 2, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Would you mind letting us know what was in the sampler. They no longer have moisturizers and stylers in a sample pack.

westNDNbeauty December 2, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Hi Asia, I see the pack is no longer offered on BASKs site so I’ve updated the post to list what is included in the pack. Thanks for the heads up!

Lola December 25, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I have been using Qhemet faithfully and after trying bask I wasn’t as impressed. I think that qhemet just offers that extra kick of heavy duty moisture that my hair needs. Plus I love castor oil and olive oil so that may be why I am partial to qhemet. I will say another line that for my coarse hair rivals quemet is Rockin’ Naturals…their creams are amazing. I heard about them about two weeks from a girlfriend of mine and their Mad Moisture Cream is HEAVEN SENT!

Here is the site:
rockinnatural.com

westNDNbeauty December 26, 2013 at 7:04 am

Thanks for commenting!

Well, I guess if the products you use from QB are the heavier ones, the BASK products may not work as well for you. But my comparison was more for a replacement for the CTDG, a lighter QB product.

Jade145 March 30, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Lola,
Thank you so much for posting this comment. I too was a faithful Qhemet user and was distraught when I could not purchase the products due to the owner’s illness (I truly wish her a speedy recovery and restoration of health). I purchased both the BASK products and the several Rockin’ Natural products and I am thoroughly impressed with Rockin’ Naturals. I have very coarse hair and the BASK products didn’t work on it for me.

WestNDNbeauty, thank for posting this article as well. 🙂

cspears December 27, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I’ve used Qhemet faithfully, but recently found the B.A.S.K. line in a local store being stocked as a new product. The store clerk had tried a couple of products in the line and really liked them, so I thought I’d give them a try.

Thus far I think I like B.A.S.K. for me even better than the Qhemet. Qhemet offered a lot of moisture, but after a few days some in that product line made my hair started to feel sticky and gummy and I had to wash it out. I think I may have been too heavy handed with the products and didn’t use them correctly, but I’m not sure.

I’ve been using a tad of the Qhemet Castor and Moringa oil along with the B.A.S.K. and it seems to be working fine. Not sticky or gummy. I just ordered the B.A.S.K. sevenfold butter with the intent of trying solely that product line. Once I do that and can compare to how my hair felt with the Qhemet, I’ll know which line will be my staple.

cspears December 28, 2013 at 9:17 am

Insofar as your pictures, the B.A.S.K. picture seems to have a bit more shine, fullness and more elongation….but perhaps it has something to do with the angle of the picture and the picture being the opposite side of your hair.

Every product works differently for everyone. From the pictures it seems both product lines work for you; may not be the same for everyone. I have 3 to 4 different grades of hair….what may work on one part of my hair may not work on the other, so for me it’s all trial and error.

Liz February 18, 2014 at 2:31 am

Thank you so much for this article. I have only been using Qhemet products and I absolutely love them for my hair, but I usually have to buy in bulk and I’m always afraid of running out, but I did not have any idea of other products I could try. Well the owner at Qhemet has been ill and I am almost out of my Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee. This article is a lifesaver. I have just ordered a hair sampler, and a few of the BASK products. Thanks for sharing.

Linda Thomas February 27, 2014 at 10:46 am

The results from both Qhemet and BASK are similar. I found your website while looking for any additional information concerning Qhemet Biologics. I recently went to the one store in the entire city of Philadelphia that carried the product and learned that the owner for Qhemet has apparently fallen ill but she did not reveal her recipes to anyone. I don’t know how accurate that information is but I was devastated because it took me years to find a product that worked on my hair like the CTDG. I will definitely give BASK a try.

westNDNbeauty February 27, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Hi Linda, Beija Flor Naturals Creme Brulee is also awesome!

lisa March 2, 2014 at 11:56 pm

I have used bask hair products for two years and have had excellent rexults. I have not had to use multiple products to obtain a nice sheen to my hair. What works for one might not work for another!

{ 1 trackback }