How to| Maintenance of a Kinky Curly Weave

by West Parsons on March 25, 2012 · 19 comments

in my hair, weave

Last week while getting my Onyc Mongolian kinky curly weave installed by Tamika, she dropped a nugget of wisdom – MOISTURIZE!

MORE: Details of the Kinky Curly Hair

Not only do you want to keep the extensions in prime condition by moisturizing the length of the hair just as you would your own, but you absolutely cannot forget to moisturize your braided hair underneath. Skipping the latter step can absolutely lead to a setback during the take-down process; the manipulation of moisture deprived hair will lead to breakage.

MAINTAINING THE WEAVE
During the Week|| every other day, spray my scalp and the length of the extensions with a moisturizing concoction of  Infusium 23 and castor oil. This oil is a key element in this mix as it is an unrefined form with humectant and anti-fungal properties.  After moisturizing, I twist the extensions in 4-6 large twists and make sure to tie my leave-out hair with a scarf which assists in blending. For daily wear, I remove the twists and then pin into style (stay tuned for video post on how I bun with this hair).

Co-wash Day|| weekly, section off leave-out hair and also section the extensions into 3.  Add my choice of deep conditioner to the leave-out hair. Dampen the extensions and smooth with a rinse-out conditioner. Leave conditioners on for at least 30 minutes with a plastic cap. Rinse hair while carefully massaging my scalp/braids.

Clarifying|| once a month, complete similar steps as co-wash day but begin with a shampoo before conditioning. Use of a nozzled bottle filled with shampoo diluted with water and tea tree oil may be beneficial to cleanse the scalp.

Blending || as needed, flat twist the leave-out hair in small flat twists using one of my favorite cream moisturizers.

Tip: Use of a diffuser helps to dry the curls and dry your braids. This cuts down on the super long air dry time.

MORE: On Protecting Your Hair While Wearing a Weave

Yourstrulyre March 25, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Which infusium 23 do you use and what is your ratio of infusium 23 to oil?

westNDNbeauty March 25, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Repair and Renew. With loose measurement there is approximately 4 oz of Infusium and 1 oz of oil.

Mapri March 27, 2012 at 10:27 am

I love this hair on you. How many packs of hair did you use?

Jackie May 15, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Did you have trouble getting the hair to lay down or hang more than it poofs out? Every person I see on youtube that has this hair has more of an afro look which isn’t what I want. Also, were you able to be versitile with this hair style and how long did you keep the 2nd install in (the good install lol)?

westNDNbeauty May 16, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Hi Jackie! Once the hair dries it does take on a more puffy/’fro-like look. Tamika ( the stylist who did my weave), told me about a trick with the use of wet hair Pink Oil that will make the hair hang more. Honestly, if the hair did not ‘fro it would not be similar to my own hair texture. Also note that most people that you have probably seen online, the hair is short. Lexi with the Curls used the same brand, but the 3c texture and very long, but her hair hung. See here. The 2nd time it was sewn it I took it out after a month. I was missing my hair and scalp. But I can honestly say, I could have gone another month and half and would have been completely ok.

Tina June 24, 2012 at 2:36 am

I am so glad I found your blog! I just received my Onyc hair this morning and having it installed in a few days. I am busy making a list of products that I will need to care for my new hair. I am natural as well and wanted a weave that did not involve flat-ironing to blend my hair which of course leads to damage. Plus, I am tired of doing a complete sew-in to avoid the dreaded blending. I am on the hunt for a good leave in conditioner, you are using Infusium 23? Which cream moisturizers are you using for your hair? Deep conditioners?
I have to be really careful because my scalp gets aggravated really easy due to allergies (yes, go figure). I avoid any product with excess alcohol and SLS (equivalent to industrial detergent). The best thing that I have found to clarify my scalp is apple cider vinegar.
Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. I have subscribed to your youtube channel and your blog!! Thanks for putting this information out there, you are not alone on your hair journey!
Tina

westNDNbeauty June 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Hi TIna!

When I did have the weave I used a mixture of Infusium 23 and castor oil on the braids. For blending my own hair, I use Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee which helps to smooth the cuticles of my own hair and blend well with the weave.

When washing the weave, I mixed the shampoo (Come Klean) with a little tea tree oil and scrubbed my scalp with the balls of my fingers. The tea tree helps to kill bacteria and or fungus. I have a very sensitive scalp as well. I deep conditioned the weave with whatever conditioners I had that I feel didn’t do much for my own natural hair. There seemed to be no big difference in how the hair dried no matter what conditioners I used. But I stuck to my regular line up of conditioners for my leave out.

Thanks for checking out my blog and youtube channel!

keyshia September 1, 2012 at 12:23 am

What oil from Jamaica do you use. I would liek the web site please.

westNDNbeauty September 1, 2012 at 9:12 am

Keyshia,

The words “Oil From Jamiaca” is a link. Click it.

Danielle September 6, 2012 at 12:07 pm

So what dproducts did you use when you flat twisted that hair to get it to blend? I installed a 3c-4a 16 inch bundle and a 3b-3c 16 inch bundle a couple of days ago. I have thick 4a hair, and its kinda hard to get it to blend in right. Did you just use pink lotion? Also I seen your youtube video where you should the process of washing and flat twisting the hair to get it to blend. I noticed that you used the tension method to stretch out your leave out and then you flat twisted it with thehair to get it to blend. I need help. lol

Danielle September 6, 2012 at 12:17 pm

sorry, I just noticed you said you used qhemet detangling Ghee, can you recommend anything else?

westNDNbeauty September 6, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Hi Danielle, Hopefully the 4a bundle is installed in the front to help with blending. Think about the products you have in your arsenal that helps to lay your cuticles and make your hair the smoothest. I suggest using that to twist your leave it and making sure that your twist all of the weave as well so you have a uniformed curl pattern. Good Luck!

Toya Michelle February 16, 2013 at 9:53 am

What brand/type hair did you use? Looks fab!

westNDNbeauty February 16, 2013 at 10:07 am

Hi Toya! Check out the blue link above labeled ‘Details of the Kinky Curly Hair’.

Juliette Colpa-Thomas November 5, 2013 at 12:32 am

Thank you for sharing! Tell me, do I just braid my hair at night? I have kinky curly 3B 3C.

westNDNbeauty November 5, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Braids or big twists work well to maintain at night.

GABBY September 28, 2014 at 10:54 am

How many packs of hair did you use to get this look?

West Parsons September 28, 2014 at 11:12 pm