Splurge or Save?| MakeUp Primer — Smashbox vs Monistat

by West Parsons on April 11, 2012 · 13 comments

in makeup, product review, splurge or save

Some of you are giving me the side eye right now.  Yes, I am actually comparing Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer to Monistat Chafing Gel. Ever since discovering the use of makeup primer, I have never ever used so much as a tinted moisturizer without applying my primer beforehand.

Monistat Chafing Gel (1.5 oz) – $6.51
Ingredients: Dimethicone 1.2%. Inactive: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trisiloxane

Smashbox PhotoFinish Foundation Primer
(2 0z) – $49.00
Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract.

West’s Word

Notice, many of the first ingredients listed in the Monistat Chafing Gel are also found in the Smashbox Primer. Although, I am quite aware that even though two products contain the same ingredients, there are many variables that would result in each product acting differently. I have used both of these products and I found them to be quite comparable.  I know many will not be able to get over spreading va-jay-jay cream on your face, but for the price point, GET OVER IT! Lol Primer helps your makeup to spread evenly and last longer than just makeup alone. I typically have oily skin.  I found with the use of the Smashbox Primer my skin became more oily at a faster rate than when using the Monistat Chafing Gel. With both products, it was a job well done of helping to prepare a canvas for smooth application of my foundation as well as maintaining the color throughout the day.

I was first introduced to this May of ’09.  I wear a tinted moisturizer to work in which I apply primer underneath.  I have had the same tube Monistat Chafing gel since May ’09 until Jan ’11.  This stuff lasts! I would definitely say SAVE your cash and purchase the Monistat Chafing Gel instead of more expensive primers. They look the same, apply the same and for me does the same job.

Do you use a primer underneath your makeup?  If so, which one?

~Decidedly Imperfect~ January 24, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I have to admit that I was turned on to the Monistat chafing cream as a primer back in late '09. I still have the same tube from then & it's not even remotely used up. I use it as an eyeshadow primer but I only reach for it when I'm out of my usual UD Primer Potion. It definitely works in a pinch!

Lo November 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Late to the party; I’d read about the Monistat Chafing Cream on another site and decided to give it a go – LOVING IT! I normally use a mineral makeup, and it works really (surprisingly) well with that – it reminds me of Bare Minerals’ primer (only not NEARLY as spendy!).

I just started doing testing on a liquid foundation (drugstore brand, altho’ I can’t name it here) – I started using mineral makeup because I couldn’t stand the uber-grease that came with liquids; but the Monistat has worked WONDERS. I purposely tried the foundation with no primer, then w/ a powder primer, then w/ a little bit of the BM Primer… Monistat beat them ALL. The best part is that a little dab’ll definitely do ya. It’s a total keeper!!!

iiona April 14, 2012 at 11:29 am

never heard of that and I have the smashbox and LOVE IT! i might have to give the monistat one a try…

Minty @ my royal tressses April 18, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I’m all for saving money, so I *might* have to give this a try…

BeauGorgeousNatural May 21, 2012 at 5:35 am

This is so funny because,I don’t wear makeup much. But when I do,I wear eyeliner,mascara,and eyeshadow,sometimes. And I asked a youtuber if I had to use a primer and she said,if you want your hard work to last longer:-) Now,I love that you compared these two! I never would have thought!!!:-) Thanx Beautiful
!!!

westNDNbeauty May 21, 2012 at 5:13 pm

This is definitely a inexpensive alternative to purchasing those pricey primers. Honestly I can’t tell the difference from one to the other.

Andrea January 11, 2013 at 2:21 am

I am definitely willing to give this a try. I love saving money. I have oily / dry combination skin, but I am hoping that it will work for me anyway.

Nathali January 19, 2013 at 1:44 am

Have you had any side effects with the monistat?

westNDNbeauty January 19, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Hi Nathali, Nope! No side effects. My mom and a couple of friends have followed my lead and they have no negative reports.

cindy March 4, 2014 at 7:39 pm

woman if that is you in the pic, honey you are too skinny. Sorry but i had to say that.

westNDNbeauty March 4, 2014 at 8:09 pm

No, that is not me, but now that you bring it up, I think I’ll consider using one of my own pics to change out the image. Thanks 🙂

K May 8, 2015 at 3:38 pm

What tinted moisturizer do you wear or suggest?

West Parsons May 25, 2015 at 6:51 pm

I wear Maybeline’s Dream Fresh BB Cream or Mac’s Studio Finish BB Cream.