Bye Bye Coconut Oil. Hello Babassu Oil!

by West Parsons on May 28, 2012 · 13 comments

in hair care, my hair, product review

Well, not completely — coconut oil will still be in my product rotation, but babassu oil can be a great substitute!

This brazilian nut oil is harvested similarly to coconut oil;  the babassu nut falls from a tree which looks much like a coconut tree, the meat is pressed, extracting the oil which is used in many cosmetic products for hair and skin. This oil is also used for cooking. Unlike coconut oil, babassu is non-comedogenic and absorbs well into the skin for a non-greasy feeling.

MORE: Benefits of Coconut Oil on Black Hair

This absorption property is also true for babassu’s use in hair. I was recently sent a sample of Brown Butter Beauty’s Babassu Cream Deep Conditioner  (Babbasu Butter Love Deep Conditioner) and was very impressed.  I decided to do a side-by-side with HairVeda’s Sitrinillah, a coconut oil based conditioner, where each conditioner was applied to 1/2 of my hair. I found both conditioners left my hair feeling very moisturized and curls were poppin’, but there were a few differences…

Immediately upon application to dry hair, the BCDC had incredible slip and began to detangle.  Even using my method of slathering conditioner, this 8oz jar went a long way (approx 3 applications).  Both conditioners were left on for approximately 3 1/2 hours with a Therapy Wrap. When I rinsed, I noticed that the BDBC seemed to completely absorb into my hair and the 1/2 of my hair, which had the Sitrinillah, left an oily residue (as usual).

Visually, the textures of Sitrinillah and BCDC are similar, both very thin, but creamy — the Sitrinillah has a bit thinner consistency. The scent of the BCDC is weird, but bearable and does not linger (kind of like castor or sapote oil). I’m not completely sure what babassu oil smells like on its own, but judging by this product I don’t anticipate it to be offensive.

MORE: Top Ingredients to Look for in Natural Products

In reading reviews of the oil alone, many seem to prefer the use of babassu oil to coconut oil all together.  Also mentioned was the rancid scent that occurs with coconut oil (while in the hair) after a period of time. This is said not to happen with babassu oil.

To further experience the benefits of this oil I’m researching suppliers of this oil in its pure state. Looking forward to adding this oil to other products, oil rinsing, pre-pooing, and everything in between , then reporting back to you guys.

Overall, if you take well to HairVeda’s Sitrinillah, you may want to give Brown Butter Beauty’s Babassu Cream Deep Conditioner a try. There’s a strong possibility you may like it even more than Sitrinillah. I do!

MORE: Don’t Believe Pre-Pooing is Beneficial? Here’s Proof!

What has been your experience with babassu oil?

AmeeraNakisha May 28, 2012 at 10:44 am

I’ve never even heard of Babassu oil, guess its a good thing I read your blog LOL

Wranchetta May 28, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Very interesting. I will consider trying babassu cream conditioner. Your hair is looking great.

Tiffany May 29, 2012 at 8:53 am

I use babassu oil exclusively on my skin when it is is really humid and hot here in Florida. I noticed when I used it to seal my hair, I experienced shrinkage. It did absorb well, though.

AmeeraNakisha May 29, 2012 at 5:47 pm

So you used it alone, do you know where is can be purchased?

Thanks

westNDNbeauty May 29, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I didn’t use it alone. I want to. Amazon seems to have suppliers of the pure oil.

Marsheilah May 31, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I just recieved 4oz of Babassu oil from Camden Grey. It has a really mild fragrance and it is not too thick. I look forward to seeing how well it seals and nourishes my hair. My hair is very porous and it is all about the sealant for successfully styling and growth for me.

Shawny June 1, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I purchased mine from Camden gray as well, It acts just like coconut oil to me. Its solid when frozen or cold and liquid when warm. It almost has the same nutty smell as well. I used it on my body and really like it.

TG May 31, 2012 at 7:01 pm

wooow!! never heard of this oil before. Im very interested in it! Off to research!! Thanks!!

tbaby June 8, 2012 at 3:23 am

never heard of the product line or babussa oil before I’ll definitely try both. i love coconut oil so maybe i’ll love this too

jMarie June 11, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Thanks for sharing! This is definitely something I will Google. I haven’t heard of that oil.

Tinuke November 24, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Thanks for this review! So far I’ve found the HairVeda to be the best DC for my hair (4a, low-porosity, thick) but not quite the one. I’ll def try this. Is this product still in your rotation? Are the B.A.S.K ones better? And have you tried mixing the Y.A.M and the Chocolate Bark. I know.. A whole lotta questions!
Great blog, youtube and WORK btw 🙂

LeNay AKA Brenda Lee September 27, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I’M a cosmetologist 30 yrs I really love your write up I use to take real good care of my hair, I have went bald
many times for not taking care of what God says is a woman’s Glory thank you for keeping it real and natural praying to grow my glory back. also I have been researching for 8 yrs my own natural products for. Le’Nay’s Total Body Products: Thanks again for sharing your knowledge:) Lee

Vicky Lyons November 22, 2013 at 8:11 am

Nice post! At Lyonsleaf we LOVE babassu Oil, We use it in our facial, waterless Beauty Balm beacause it absorbs so well. It’s also a really sustainable crop. It is harvested from the forest floor ofter by workers co-operatives and all the parts of the nut are used. Make sure you buy it from a co-op source.