Going Natural? Inexpensive Products Your Should Consider

by West Parsons on May 8, 2012 · 12 comments

in frugal mcdugal, hair care

inexpensive natural hair care products

Skyping with my cousin in the Virgin Islands, I found out she needed a little guidance with her hair.  She’s always been Natural, much like many other women in our family, but felt her hair could be doing much better than it is. She inquired about the products I currently use — I shared with her, not only do I splurge and feed into my product junkie habits, but there are a few products that have become apart of my staple line up no matter what junkie kick I am on.

Jojoba Oil– This oil is most similar to the sebum in which our scalp/skin naturally produces. It works well to moisturize the scalp and helps to prevent dandruff. Unlike coconut oil, Jojoba oil is also non-comedogenic and will not clog your pores and cause breakouts. When used post-styling, the oil also help to increase your hair’s shine, but is also a great additive to a cheapie or expensive conditioner ($9).

Castor Oil– Want softer hair? Castor oil is your best bet. Not only does this oil help to make your hair softer, but it also provides shine and has been rumored to increase hair growth and thickness. There are different types of this oil. Jamaican Black Castor Oil is unprocessed, which most nutrients remain in tact. This oil’s viscosity is very thick. I find its easier to distribute throughout your hair when mixed in with other oils and/or moisturizing leave-in or conditioners. ($8)

Virgin Coconut Oil – A natural conditioner. This is the one oil said to have molecules small enough to penetrate the hair shaft allowing it to truly moisturize hair. Asian cultures have used this oil to treat dry hair, helping to grow to drool worthy lengths.  When hair is damp or wet, it allows the oils to penetrate the shaft. For the value, this oil is great for oil rinsing, as well as an additive in conditioners ($7).

MORE: Benefits of Coconut Oil on Black Hair

Elastic Processing Caps – These plastic caps are helpful to complete one of the most important steps we should do as Naturals. Deep condition. When deep conditioning for an extended amount of time, this cap helps to keep the body heat moisture radiating from your hair/head local.  I prefer overnight deep conditioning, but if short 30 minute spurts are your preference, elastic processing caps works as well ($0.99).

MORE: Selecting a Moisturizing Deep Conditioner

Wide Tooth Comb – With kinks and curls, it is obvious we need combs with wide set teeth.  This helps to reduce breakage when detangling. ($1.89)

What are your staple products?

(photo credit)

CurlyChellez March 31, 2011 at 12:21 am

I own all of those products, so I guess I have all of the basics

Latoya March 31, 2011 at 1:08 am

I have ALL of the above and I LOVE all of the above. Words cannot express how much I love jojoba oil and coconut oil.

Deka March 31, 2011 at 1:18 am

great post!
unfortunately coconut oil just sits on my hair and it way too greasy. i love castor oil though

westNDNbeauty March 31, 2011 at 8:31 pm

@Chellez – which is your favorite?

@Latoya – Have you tried castor oil?

@Deka – Have you tried using coconut oil in your deep conditioner? Or by iteslf on wet/damp hair?

When I use it on dry hair, it sits on mine too. I figured out it works best for me with wet/damp hair.

Shanay May 8, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Great post. I use all these oils on my hair 🙂

Guyanesesista May 8, 2012 at 10:33 pm

If anybody has a National Wholesale Liquidators nearby you can get a gallon of olive oil for $10.

IheartLondie May 21, 2012 at 12:39 pm

My Denman is my staple along with my shea butter, jojoba and coconut oil. I have to get me some more castor oil but Jojoba is definitely my favorite.

Janelle S May 21, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I have all of the above except jojoba oil. I guess I figured that owning jbco, olive, coconut, avocado, grape seed and even baobab oil would be enough. Should I purchase this one as well? I have no idea what to do with the last 3 oils. I just bought it b/c YouTubers recommended it and truly don’t know what value each brings. Please help my inner product junkie! 🙂

westNDNbeauty May 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Depends. How are the current oils you have working for you? My list is just a starting point for someone who does not have anything 🙂

Linda May 21, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I actually use all of the products you mentioned, lol! I also love the Shea Moisture Line which is relatively inexpensive and available at Walgreens and Target. My other favorite line is Qhemet Biologics. This line is a bit more expensive, in particular because most people have to have it shipped. However, the products do WONDERS for my hair. I think finding products that work well for your hair is essential to a natural hair journey. It keeps your from becoming a “product junkie” and you’ll save even more money by buying in bulk during sales if you like one or two product lines exclusively.

Chinye May 29, 2012 at 8:42 am

This is a pretty good basic list. I encourage people to try out Sheamoisture’s line because it is pretty inexpensive and you can always catch it on sale. Also, my #1 staple is a seamless comb. I cannot go without it!

{ 1 trackback }