#Foodie| Shrimp & Creamy Grits

by West Parsons on June 9, 2012 · 13 comments

in foodie

Since I’ve had numerous requests to share this recipe (from those who personally know me and my awesome Facebook homies) I will oblige 🙂

Let me preface this by saying, though I love to cook, the only time I use recipes is when I am baking.  So the measurements below are guesstimates.  Watching my mom and granny in the kitchen, never measuring, but just throwing ingredients in the pot, was how I learned.  It was inevitable as I went off to college ’cause I was NOT buying one of the astronomically priced meal plans. Remember that episode of A Different World when Lena James was cooking in her dorm room?  That was definitely me. Illegal hot plate and all! LOL.

Serving Size: 4

Creamy Grits
3/4   cup quick grits
2 1/2   cup milk
1 tbsp   butter
4   tbsp cream cheese
salt & pepper to taste

Shrimp
1/2 lb   shrimp (peeled & devined)
7 tbsp   butter
1/2 tsp   salt
1/2 tsp   black peper
1 tsp   red pepper flakes
1 tbsp   dried chives

Instructions
1. Pre-season shrimp with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and dried chives. Place in refrigerator for approx 20-60 minutes to allow seasoning to marinate.

2. Heat milk in saucepan on low heat. As milk is simmering, slowly stir in grits, salt and butter. Cook on low heat until thickened to a consistency of a porridge. Be sure to stir often while cooking to avoid lumps.

3. Melt butter in skillet. Add seasoned shrimp and sautee.  Stirring constantly to avoid overcooking shrimp. Remove shrimp from fire immediately as they become pink in color. Note: shrimp will continue to cook in pan.

4. Add cream cheese to grits. Stir vigorously until melted.  Add more milk as needed to increase creamy texture, if needed.

Let me know how this recipe turns out for you!

Wranchetta June 9, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Shrimp and grits are one of my all time favorite meal. Thanks. I will most definitely try your recipe. It looks great.

westNDNbeauty June 9, 2012 at 10:21 pm

🙂 Looking forward to your feedback

AmeeraNakisha June 9, 2012 at 9:57 pm

While I am a total gastronome and love all things food related, I had never had grits until last month when I was in Atlanta and went to the flying biscuit. It was just OK.

I am still undecided on whether or not I even like grits since that was my first time trying them.

westNDNbeauty June 9, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I too never had grits until moving to ATL 4 years ago. Flying Biscuit also happens to be one of my fav breakfast spots! I actually created my grits recipe after tasting theirs.

AmeeraNakisha June 11, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Wow, so I’m NOT the only black person that did grow up eating grits…good to know LOL

When I tell people I ate some form of cooked, Green or Yellow Bananas almost ever day, they never can relate :kanye shrug: Thought everyone ate them

Creed June 10, 2012 at 7:29 pm

This looks awesome…I expect a plate on the next visit to ATL…#gracias

westNDNbeauty June 11, 2012 at 1:04 am

Whenever that is. But until then a little mutton and rice will be in your immediate future LOL

jMarie June 11, 2012 at 11:58 am

I love shrimp and grits! But I have never made them this recipe looks simple and sounds delicious I will definitely try it. Thanks for sharing!

Tracy June 12, 2012 at 3:25 am

I am the FB homey that said that since you didn’t invite us to dinner you should share the recipe. Now I learn your in Atlanta to boot! I live in ATL, too so I really expect an invite next time! 😉 Also, I used to work with a girl from Tortola. Never even heard of it before her!

Thanks for the recipe. I can’t wait to try it. Well have my sister make it because I don’t cook! But thanks just the same!

westNDNbeauty June 12, 2012 at 11:00 am

Small, small world we live in 🙂

LaLa June 12, 2012 at 8:05 pm

This sounds divine!! I will definitely make this!!

Nikkipooh71 December 27, 2012 at 10:19 am

As cold as it is in the A, I will be trying this today! Thanks for sharing.

westNDNbeauty December 27, 2012 at 10:52 am

Nikki, make sure you let the rice cool in the refrigerator. Enjoy!