Crazy Ish! Caramel Treatment on Natural Hair + Video Tutorial

by West Parsons on July 19, 2012 · 16 comments

in hair care, product review, recipes, tutorial

The premise behind the Caramel Treatment is smooth, super soft, shiny hair. It is also known to assist wen flat ironing natural hair as it provides a boost of moisture in the content of hair strands. Increased moisture is a Natural’s best chance of her hair turning out silky straight, smooth, flowy and bouncy after being treated with heat.

READ MORE:  A Natural’s Recipe for Successfully Flat Ironed Hair

The two ingredients in this treatment that I have never used on my hair are the molasses and banana. I’ve read time and time again that molasses works much like honey, pulling moisture into your strands. The banana falls under the category of moisturizer.

My Recipe
1/2 cup Molasses
1/4 cup Honey
2 jars Banana Baby Food
2 tbs Jojoba Oil
2 tbs Coconut Oil
2 tbs Castor Oil
2 tbs Rosemary Oil
1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar

Ryhme & Reason
My ingredients ratio vary compared to other recipes. I used less oils. I did this because, the molasses and bananas are supposed to be the main ingredient in this concoction that accounts for the moisture. I know all of my oils can do the trick, but I wanted to see what the molasses and bananas could do. So not to skew my perceived performance of the molasses and banana, I used less oils.

READ MORE: Top Ingredients to Look for in Natural Products

My Opinion/Results
This was a waste of perfectly fine banana baby food! I steamed in the mixture for 20 mins and left it on for an additional 2 hours. This treatment did not do much for my hair. I was disappointed to find my hair wasn’t moisturized at all. Would I try this again? No. Though I am not opposed to trying products which are pre-mixed and marketed as a caramel treatment.

What crazy treatments have you experimented with?

[repost from Oct. 2010]

Novemberlady13 October 31, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I've done a molasses treatment in the past and my hair did not like that. But my hair loves bananas. Maybe you should try a bananas treatment before giving up on the them. I just 1 jar of banana baby food, conditioner, honey, and olive oil. My hair loves this. Just an idea.

Jeannette October 31, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I do a Caramel treatment with a product called Etae. I only do the treatment in the Spring/Summer when the humidity is high because of the honey/bananas that are humectants. They are best for my hair during those times of the year living in New Jersey, than the fall/winter.

In all, your hair looked great but I understand wanting to remain true to your regular conditioner. Girl, I feel you on the baby food bananas!!! I LOVE 'EM too!! LOL LOL

Anonymous November 1, 2010 at 1:59 am

I already put Caramel treatments under the category of "doing too much". While you were applying the treatment, I thought there must a simpler (Read: less messy) way of achieving the same result. I find it interesting that your recipe contains less oil than most. I think 8 Tbsp of oil is plenty. I wonder what the recipes with "more oil" look like!

beautyaddict1913 November 1, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I use those ingredients as a light protein treatment. I use an avocado, a jar of bananas, yogurt, coconut cream, and honey. If I need the extra protein I add an egg yolk, but it turns out fab. I have softer and stronger hair. I can instantly feel the difference!

lol @ 'I already put Caramel treatments under the category of "doing too much".'

Dee W July 19, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Interesting. I haven’t experimented with anything like this before. Too scared. lol

yacoomba July 19, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Call myself doing a homemade protein treatment w/ egg. Never again! After finding w/ cold water and not hot I still had pieces of scrambled egg all in my hair. Hot mess, lol.
I’ll stick w/Giovanni

westNDNbeauty July 19, 2012 at 4:36 pm

lol. That had to have been a scrambled mess.

AmeeraNakisha July 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Yeah I don’t like to experiment with crazy stuff cuz I’ve had some not too good results. Because someone swears by something, I don’t just jump on the bandwagon. It took me WAY to long and cost WAY too much money to find products that work for me so I just stick with what works for me.

However, that caramel looks like it would be good on some ice cream LOL

westNDNbeauty July 19, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I’m with you. No more crazy experimentations for me. And my mixture tasted awful lol. I probably would have been better off buying real caramel from the store and adding oils to it. Atleast I’d be able to eat the left overs.

dkblck1958 July 19, 2012 at 4:58 pm

well i just want to thank you for doing the experiment…..u r da best cuz now i dont have to do this on my hair….just kidding…..thanks for the blog 😉

KayJay at Refined & Polished July 20, 2012 at 9:51 am

I can’t take your faces dude! I’m surprised you didn’t taste the baby food before mixing it in. LOL

westNDNbeauty July 20, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Lol. You know I did! haha!

nika July 20, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Crazy! I been stopped those types of treatments long ago. I stick with what simple and works for me.! 🙂

Cierra May 29, 2014 at 3:25 am

I also use the E’tae carmel treatment and it is a staple in my weekly regimen. I think using so much molasses is where you went wrong, I think if the molasses:honey ration were inverted, the outcome would have been more favorable. But for now, I’d give the E’tae Carmel treatment a try: leave it on for two hours with a processing cap and rinse with cold water.

westNDNbeauty May 31, 2014 at 12:53 am

I really have been wanting to try the E’Tae but haven’t seen many reviews. About the molasses honey ratio — you just may be right 😉

Anonymous726 June 22, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Try using real bananas and not the baby food. I have a hair softener recipe with banana, avocado and honey. It really works.