How to| Temporary Locs A Protective Style

by West Parsons on July 17, 2012 · 7 comments

in hair styles

Many Naturals toy with the idea of locking their hair at some point in time of the Natural hair journey.  Though there are permanent locs which can be combed out, for many this style is too permanent. Saleemah of Healthy Hair Journey hosted a protective style challenge at the end of last year and posted a tutorial on these temporary locs. This style is perfect for those considering locing!

READ MORE: How to| Bantu Knot Out on Stretched Hair

This style requires two types of synthetic hair, Kanekalon Braid Hair to complete the braids and Marley Braid Hair to form the loc look.

Don’t forget to subscribe to Healthy Hair Journey

Have you considered locking your hair?

Bernadette July 17, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Beautiful style!!! I used to have locs many moons ago and I always toy with the idea of locing again. This is a great alternative. Although, I’ve tried braiding my hair before — it turned out to be a hot mess! Practice makes perfect I guess!!

NaturaLocs July 18, 2012 at 8:16 am

Yes. I started loc’ing 3 months ago. It always surprises me how natural temp locs can look when done well. The really suite you

westNDNbeauty July 18, 2012 at 11:25 am

They are very well done, but that’s not me, that’s actually the owner of a haircare line called HydraTherma Naturals 🙂

AmeeraNakisha July 18, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I use to like these back in the day. We use to call them silky dreds

yacoomba July 19, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Nice! Later in life yes prob will loc..I like Sisterlocs. I like the look of Genie locs….

Jessica October 29, 2012 at 11:03 pm

how long does this look last? Does the wrapping need to be re-done after a certain point? Is there any damage to the hair?

westNDNbeauty October 29, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Hi Jessica, The health of your hair in braids has much to do with who installs them and how you care for it. Braids can be a great protective style. I’m guessing this will last as long as your like considering the roots will be what reveals the age of the style.