Olympian Gabby Douglas Responds to Commentary About Her Hair

by West Parsons on August 6, 2012 · 8 comments

in celebrities, entertainment, in the news

Like many others I was puzzled by the ridiculous comments being made about the 16 year old Olympian, Gabrielle Douglas and her hair.  This amazing athlete had just won two gold medals, making U.S. history yet there was so much chatter about her gelled pony tail and clips. This is a nonsensical discussion I never imagined Gabby would respond to.  She did.  I applaud her for her dismissive attitude and the stance she continues to take. GO GABBY!

LONDON — Women’s gymnastics all-around champion Gabby Douglas likes her hairstyle just fine, thanks.

The 16-year-old said Sunday she was a little confused when she logged onto her computer after winning her second gold medal in three days and discovered people were debating her pulled-back look.

“I don’t know where this is coming from. What’s wrong with my hair?” said Douglas, the first U.S. gymnast to win gold in team and all-around competition. “I’m like, `I just made history and people are focused on my hair?’ It can be bald or short, it doesn’t matter about (my) hair.”

Douglas uses gel, clips and a ponytail holder to keep things in place while she competes, a style she’s worn for years.

“Nothing is going to change,” she said. “I’m going to wear my hair like this during beam and bar finals. You might as well just stop talking about it.”

The bubbly teenager is the first African-American gymnast to win her sport’s biggest prize. She had no idea she was lighting up social media until she Googled herself hours after winning her gold medal.

“I don’t think people should be worried about that,” she said. “We’re all champions and we’re all winners. I just say that it’s kind of, a stupid and crazy thought to think about my hair.”

SOURCE: Associated Press of  Huffington Post

Chime in! What do you think about Gabby’s response?

Miltha Johnson August 6, 2012 at 11:57 am

I am proud of Gabby..and instead of people talking about her hair they need to focus on her accomplishment..this is what’s wrong with the world now..to busy focused on the wrong things…and while you are laughing and talking about her hair style…Gabby is laughing all the way to the bank..and I don’t blame her.

Bernadette August 6, 2012 at 12:09 pm

The comments and drama surrounding her hair are completely ridiculous — most of which are from other black females. As a former 4th grade teacher, I witnessed much of this cattiness, name calling, and drama with my 9 year old students.

The same situations played out — with girls talking about each other’s hair and clothes. I have always told myself that if I were to return to teaching, that I would have a girl’s empowerment group — focusing on self-respect and esteem as well as respect for others.Seriously, the comments folks are making about Gabby remind me of elementary school.

Gabby is a gold medalist, has made history, and is free to wear her hair however she chooses. I see no problem with her hair. But, I am sure she is letting all of this drama fuel her motivation. You go, girl!

Nikki White August 6, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Ridiculous is a mild word. Kudos to her for dismissing the chatter. While she’s walking to the bank to deposit her Olympic earnings, and searching around her mamas home for a place to rest her medals, those same morons will be running out to spend their entire paychecks on a lace front weave – with the matching fake eye lashes of course.

nika August 6, 2012 at 7:54 pm

tht is a mess. Her hair was neatly in place. I could see if is was hanging all over the olace, then that could effect her chances of winning. I see nothing wrong with her hair. Must be coming from other black girls. Like always lol.

Lorrie August 7, 2012 at 11:34 am

I dont think anyone should have allowed her to go online until all the competitions were over. I believe the craziness about her hair made her lose the next few competitions…shame on black people.

Denise August 8, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I totally agree with you Lorrie. I was going to say the same thing until I saw you’d already posted. The comments were hurtful and definitely affected her remaining performances. People need to get a life! Leave Gabby alone! She’s only 16 for crying out loud!

Whatever happened to “If you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all.” ?

tbaby August 8, 2012 at 6:58 am

I said it before and I’ll say it again. I’m embarassed as a black woman.. i bet only black women said those things. pure ignorance! 1st she’s a child. they do lil’ willow tree the same way. she’s a child. 2nd. she’s an athlete if she cared so much about her hair as the commenters do she’d be on the couch with the rest of those fat heifers. ( i wont curse today) 3rd Gabby D just made history… is that really all you can focus on are the clips. i think lil girls wear those clips either way, i know as teenagers we sure wore all the different colors. but she just made history youre ignorant for real for real. 4th shut up! and i’ll stop with that. as soon as she won they posted her historic win then yahoo had the backlash that Gabby was getting on the front page of yahoo.com… just to show people how ignorant black folk can be. and you cant blame them some black folk just keep giving the media reasons to say we are an ignorant race. i was embarassed. still embarassed. kinda wish she didnt say anything and just posted a photo of all the endorsements she is going to get. she should start her own haircare line that features gel and hair clips with a company called kizzmyarse! #thatisall

Kia W. August 8, 2012 at 2:47 pm

It’s very disheartening to read such negative comments on Gabby’s hair. She’s doing more with her life in a week than most will do/have done in a year and all some can focus on is her hair. How tragic! Her hair looks fine to me and she looked simply amazing doing those flips because Lord knows I cannot do it. Congratulations are in order for her, not ridiculous comments on her hair.