Her Confessions |▶ @Fyecurls

by West Parsons on August 8, 2012 · 10 comments

in her confessions

How long have you been natural?
I have been natural for 3 years.

What made you decide to go natural?
I went natural because I was bored with my hair as it was…flat and lifeless. It was long and thick. But I had to spend hours in the salon under the dryer to get voluminous curls. I decided to see what my natural hair could do. And wow, was that the best decision ever!!

While natural, what is the one biggest regret /mistake you made?
It would be going to the salon for a trim and leaving with my 2nd big chop! >:-(   . I learned from then on to style and trim my own hair.

What is the craziest hairstyle or treatment you have done to your hair?
Dying it red. It was cute. But I didn’t like the upkeep and the dryness that followed.

What is your current relationship with your hair?
I LOVE my hair! If my hair is not healthy and looking good, I can’t focus until it is! Maybe I’m a little obsessed…? A healthy obsession though!  LOL

What is the trick or technique are you most thankful for finding out about?
The Curly Girl Method has helped with my hair’s health tremendously! I also have learned to finger detangle. And as a result, I have much less shedding!

What specific products can you not live without?
Tresseme Naturals Conditioner, As I Am Coconut Cowash, Paul Mitchell The Conditioner, Keracare Naturals Line, Eco Styler Gel, and Jojoba Oil

What advice would you give to someone considering going natural?
I’d say seriously look into it! Watch Youtube videos, read blogs, and educate yourself as you transition. I’d let them know the difficulties one can encounter, as well as the ignorant comments they WILL hear. But I would definitely let them know how it was the best decision I’ve ever made concerning my hair and why. It was worth it all!

Where can we find out more info about you and your hair?
Blog www.fyecurls.com
Facebook Fyecurls
Twitter @Fyecurls
Instagram @Fyecurls

Want to be a featured?  Find out more info about submitting your story here!

Bernadette August 8, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Her hair is absolutely gorgeous! Love the length and style. I especially love the 2nd set of pics. Are those rope twists? I seriously want to learn how to do that style!

One of my biggest mistakes had to do with the salon too, –> I let a woman straighten my hair….and many of my curls never reverted back! Soon after that, as fyecurl mentioned, I educated myself on how to maintain my hair.

Thanks for sharing!

westNDNbeauty August 8, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Bernadette, A heat tool in the wrong hands is often just as dangerous as a relaxer. I too had to educate myself.

Knowledge is power!

nika August 8, 2012 at 3:22 pm

amen to tht!

Dee W August 8, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Love her hair, especially the twistout in the 3rd set of pics.

Lin August 8, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Her hair looks so full and healthy. Beautiful!

sheilah August 8, 2012 at 9:17 pm

did you blow dry the hair before twisting? i am having a tough time retaining length when styling. any suggestions?

westNDNbeauty August 8, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Hi Sheilah, it looks like she did blow out her hair before twisting. I also do the same thing. I actually blow dry my hair weekly and then twist and have been doing pretty good retaining length.

What does your regimen look like? Are you including moisture in EVERY step?

Maybe FyeCurls will drop in and give a couple tips 🙂 Or you can head over to her blog and shoot her a message.

AmeeraNakisha August 9, 2012 at 7:14 am

Her hair is BEAUTIFUL!

It looks like she blow drys and then twist. I do the same thing and it works pretty well for me.

Although, I have NOT perfected my hair, I NO longer let anyone else touch it. It always proves to be a disaster because no matter what they say, the stylist doesn’t have anything vested in your hair and generally don’t handle it with the same TLC that you would. There may be some good natural hair stylist out there but I haven’t stumbled on them.

Rach August 9, 2012 at 11:33 pm

i absolutely love this! lovely blog girl! keep ’em comin’! lookin’ good!

love, rach.

Brownskin2601 August 10, 2012 at 11:25 am

Hi, I love your hair, and your curls