SHARE! Assumptions Made Because You Have Natural Hair

by West Parsons on August 15, 2012 · 14 comments

in entertainment

I’m going to make a blanket statement and say, as Naturals I think we’ve all have encountered someone who took one look at our kinks and/or curls and have blurted out a generalized statement or responded to us in a certain way they deemed was appropriate just because of our hair.

For instance, in my experience:

Family members buy me things that have cowry shells because it’s apart of “my style”.
Excuse me! When have you ever seen me in anything such as that?! …Please return this and take a trip to Macy’s or Zara’s!

I really like Jill Scott, Eryka Badu & India Arie.
Now, why! Just because they are natural too or have been natural at some point, I must be deep into their music? I’ll bop my head to their music if it comes on on the radio, but in all honesty none of these ladies are on my ipod.

SHARE! What assumptions have been made about you because you have natural hair?

Chi Chi August 15, 2012 at 4:47 pm

The one I hate the most is one I got A LOT when my hair was loose (I have sisterlocks now): “How long have you had dreads?”

Ummmm, are you looking at MY hair?

And this one was a classic mostly from young black women, “when you perm your hair, it’s gonna be long!”

But, no, I’m not perming my hair!

mahogany brown August 15, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Just because im a natural that i eag veggie burgers and wear african hertiage accessorie/clothing or that i still cant be sexy. Ugghhh ppl are a trip. I am beautiful and love my transition to a long head of natural hair

Tatiana Gant August 15, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I received the same comments you received @ Chi Chi
and the kinky twist questions about my regular hair.

Bernadette August 15, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Surprisingly, I have had none of those assumptions since I’ve been wearing loose natural hair. I get mostly positive feedback. I’m sure, when my hair looks a hot mess (and yes, I do go out in public when my hair is a hot mess) –there are folks saying something about my hair under their breath.

I did get a lot of criticism when I wore my hair in locs — mostly from family members who couldn’t understand why I wore those braids or twisties in my hair. I live away from family — so glad they didn’t get to see me when I did my big chop!! Who knows what they would have said!!

I am 3 years natural now — Woohoo!! You can check out my progress here: bit.ly/My17Bf And, I hope to not get any of these crazy comments!!

Rochelle B August 15, 2012 at 8:46 pm

When I was a loose natural and wore my hair in twists regularly and even now that I hav sisterlocks, I get the “Are u a Rasta?” or like I go to a restaurant and order something, they say “It has pork in it, you know that right?” Automatically assuming that I’m a Rastafarian (most are vegetarians but some eat meat, but are strict about not eating shellfish or pork). Don’t get me started when i wear head wraps or dress afrocentric. I don’t mind when they call me Empress tho 🙂

Crist January 9, 2013 at 10:56 am

sounds like your in queens, ny lol

nikki w August 15, 2012 at 10:10 pm

lolz. I’ve had none of these comments but I have had random men who feel the need to put their hands in my hair. I’m talking about STRANGERS. One I almost punched out cold because he thought I should be flattered that he was curious about my do. I mean if I can’t walk up to you and grab your balls, why is it okay to walk up to me and touch/run your fingers through my hair? I don’t know you like that dude. Bizarre. I know. But has happened three times in the two years I’ve gone natural. Madness

westNDNbeauty August 15, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I concur! @ grabbing balls LOL

nikki w August 15, 2012 at 10:48 pm

lolz

Sheila August 16, 2012 at 10:14 am

I used to get rockin stuff with you afro puff years ago and sister souja when the songs were popular. When was that anyway? Nothing lately, just I like your natural hair comments.

toni August 17, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Guys coming up to me say “Excuse me Nubian Queen”…if I’m a nubian queen now what the heck was I before? Chop liver? I hate the assumption that I’m like some kind of hippie/pan african bush woman…and I’ve also expierienced random strangers (mostly men) trying to feel up on my hair.

Tyrena Smith September 3, 2012 at 1:14 pm

When my hair was twist, so you going to loc your hair now. Another one so you want to go back to the home land. Someone once said to me that this is just a fab like everything else.

SindyStylz October 10, 2012 at 8:58 am

The most common assumption that I get is they don’t believe that it’s all my hair. I get comments all the time like ” How long did it take you to put that in”? or “Theres no way that could be all your hair it’s way too long and thick”. LOL! I have dreads that I have been growing for almost 12 years. I used to feel affended when people would make comments like that to me but now I think it’s kinda funny and try to educate them. They’re more curious and fascinated and they do tell me how much they LOVE it by the end of the conversation.

Malaika Christinne February 7, 2013 at 5:45 am

Just one questian….how long have you been growing that MARVELOOOUUUSSSSEEEE FRRROOOOOOO? im in love with it dude