Why Men Aren’t Feeling Our Box Braids — Not Even On Beyonce

by West Parsons on August 3, 2012 · 56 comments

in celebrities, his confessions, in the news

For the first time since her cowgirl hat and belly chain days, Beyonce’s opted back to braids and has given that lace front fortune of hers a well-deserved break. No, not exactly the cornrows she was squatting in the Say My Name vid, Bey’s joined the box braid bandwagon many women, including sister Solo have been rocking as of late. Unfortunately for Bey and many other women trying to celebrate the 90′s in peace (geesh), this look’s pretty disagreeable.

“Box braids are fine if you’re a 12-year-old or a 60-year-old going on a Tom Joyner cruise, b. Just get your hair done. Braids speak lazy and they don’t look good. Bey is a beauty. She looks like her fans now… homely and what not. If she wants to show us something new… she should show us her real hair, a new cut. I don’t like braids on Solange either, but I kinda get it. She’s boho, she’s away from the spotlight and has in-between hair I’m sure and isn’t that cute so… Women will catch a fit if a dude has cornrows. The same should apply to them.” —Chris Law, 29

“Beyonce’s new hair isn’t anything special to me. Rewind back to the 90′s or just go watch Poetic Justice to see Janet wearing the same style.” –Kyle, 25

“I hate them. In what world are dooky braids sexy? Some women like Janet and Beyonce look good in that look because they naturally look good –no help to the braids. Just like girls who cut their hair, a pretty girl can get away with it, but that doesn’t mean she should or that it like enhances her in anyway.” –Daniel, 21

“Na, that trend is wack. Can’t wait for it to be over. Not everything retro looks good. Last week I saw a girl in overalls, really? Cut it out. I get it. Some things are “fashionable” or “trendy” or whatever , but what about just keeping it smooth and sexy? Doesn’t that matter anymore?” –James, 27

CONTINUE READING: @WWMD Online

Do these men have a leg to stand on?

nika August 3, 2012 at 3:06 pm

haha! What type of men are they asking these questions?
” Just keep it smooth and sexy”?? lol Aka straight and weavy…smh

Just when they start getting back to a more ‘natural’ look that black women can rock naturally, there’s an uproar.
Thanks for sharing.

meme October 6, 2012 at 8:10 pm

exactly!!! tahnk you,,i think they look beautiful!!

SB November 5, 2012 at 5:28 pm

exaaaaactly!!!! Sport a weave and they are loving it…anything natural comes with a price to pay! Its not right…I love the look…in fact it will be my winter style!!

sexy braids March 23, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Honestly who cares what you think this is African culture if you’re not African leave it alone I like it and as a matter a fact I’m getting my hair done in box braids soon 🙂

shemc August 3, 2012 at 3:06 pm

who cares want men think? we only exists to please them? Futhermore, this is not a recent trend and beyonce and solange wont be the first or last women to rock this style , smh celebs didnt invent this, Ive been having this style (like many many other black women) periodically over many years, and they are not homely. smh

nika August 3, 2012 at 3:08 pm

P.s Beyonce look like she squeezing that baby head hard.. -_-

Ellisa August 3, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Im not really feeling box braids either, never really did. I had them once in the 90s, and couldn’t wait to get rid of them. Heavy and fake,

I like Solange’s natural hair better.

Lin August 3, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I get so many compliments from men of all ethnic backgrounds whenever I have worn box braids or micros in the past. If my husband had his way I would always have micros lol So, I just don’t get these comments.

Nia August 3, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I’m in agreement with the rest of the ladies on here. Some of these men questioned sound really juvenile and personally I don’t really care for opinion coming from such a dumb state of mind…

AmeeraNakisha August 4, 2012 at 6:49 am

Uhhhh well first, look at the ages of these dudes. They are simple. Now I will say this, when I think of box braids, I don’t think of what either Solo or Bey has, I guess what I am thinking of is micros. Both styles do remind me of back in the day but it works for them. I don’t know what is wrong with black people and this ongoing color/hair/hair texture thing. Accept own and be yourself for heavens sake!

I have personally have never had braids but I was thinking about getting some micros and long ones too, like down to my hip. Yeah I dont know why but….LOL

Sheila August 4, 2012 at 10:40 am

The first comment from Chris Law tells me he’s not into working out. I would wear box braids on a cruise because I love snorkeling and scuba diving. Who want’s to worry about their hair on a cruise unless your main focus is eating and coming back 10 pounds heavier.

tdwan August 4, 2012 at 11:24 am

i love them… the length may be a ittle drastic but i like the tathered ends i looks more natural… well as natural as can be seeing that neither one of them have waist-length hair!

westNDNbeauty August 4, 2012 at 11:52 am

We mostly agree these dudes deserve the #SideEye. I’m wit ya ladies! #BoxBraidsDontCare

Ambee Jai August 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Yes those guys are Dorks! Lol Box braids are and always will be fly!

Carla August 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Thank you ! I believe the same thing !

Saa August 5, 2012 at 10:40 am

Obviously these men cant celebrate the beauty and diversity of black hair. Braided hair has been a staple and classic sign of beauty for women of African descent since the damn dawn of human kind and it should be supported for the beauty that is represents. lazy? so because women choose to style their hair in braids,be ib box, cornrows, micros or any other style its no longer cultural beauty astehtics of black wwomen? its just lazy? give me a damn break with the ignorance, its stifling. grow up and appreciate something about YOUR kind of hair. ahe is a reflection of you, and as a man if you cant accept and appreciate what you see then you obviously cant appreciate yourself

Lorrie August 6, 2012 at 12:32 pm

These are all the same type of comments some biased men may say about natural hair. My first question is what type of men were asked to give their opinion for this blog? My second question is, who the hell cares?? Everything a man does is not run by us – I am sure there are plenty of things men do we cant stand but do you think a man cares? Or does it keep us from liking them? Hell no! So, every style a woman rocks does not have to be “man-approved!”

tierra johnson August 6, 2012 at 5:18 pm

ooooooh ya’ll are some ignorant somebodys. Box Braids are more than just a90’s trend. Braids in general is apart of our culture as black women and the simple practice of putting braids in you hair is a labor of love and relaxation, Lord have mercy, not a single nice thing to say about how absolutely radiant this black woman looks????? Let a woman walk by with tracks swen in her hair and its okay tho right???? Cuz it looks more “natural” right? oh well, there will always be men that prefer those snow white theories of beauty but the truth is fella as long as you have a beautiful face,body and spirit you can wera any type of hairstyle and if Beyonce wasn’t Beyonce the star and walked past you with those same braid and in that romper she has on you would be jockin.

Be nice to your sister fellas

Nancy August 7, 2012 at 8:45 am

I totally agree! These braids are NOT new and those guys are fools. These are the kind of men who try to make their women feel less sexy in natural styles like pp stated. I’m not sure about the hair color on Beyonce coupled with the super red lips. Sometimes I wish she would rock that chestnut brown or black color for her hair/weave choices especially with the braids. I love Solange’s braids! Especially the length. That dude was so wrong for talking about her hair being “in between hair” wth? Lol faceless and shameless men!

Carla August 9, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Who cares she looks good ! I mean damn BOX BRAIDS are the shit ! I think its hot !

Ronnie August 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm

First Ha ha I don’t know what men aren’t feeling box braids because men complaint me on how beautiful they are. Second, THIS IS NOT A TREND; box braids didnt go out in the 90s they just became INDIVIDUALS.

df September 13, 2012 at 3:48 pm

yeah right they just want to see her in nothing but the same weave she wears all the time…(box)braids especially are beautiful on black women…along with natural hair, braids are a style that just accentuate our beauty. I always get hit on more when I wear box braids and have even been described as looking “regal” which blew me away because i was in a particularly bad place at the time. Braids are my favorite way to wear my hair next to my natural hair…

Vintage September 27, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Funny enough, if I like my box braids and my hubby likes my box braids (he has no choice anyway) then those men can stick it where the sun don’t shine. I don’t look 12 nor do I look like I came out of a poetic justice movie. Therefore you can cut the crap. What they gonna say next? “ugh natural hair is such a fad, just creamy crack it and make it smooth and sexy”? such nonsense…honestly, I’ve never heard or had a guy complain about my box braids before. All I get are compliments.

VeAnnah Smith October 14, 2012 at 3:26 am

Men, Men, Men Never Satisfied Say Go Natural And Back To Your Roots One Minute. Then Go Straight and Weavy, Come On Now Make Up Your Mind, Regardless It Is Always Better To Wear The Hair That Fits You, And Not What Others Want You Wear.

Lena November 27, 2012 at 1:32 pm

What about the fact that she just had a child? Braid are *exceedingly* convenient at such a new and busy time such as this and very healthy for the hair. Not everything women do is centered around trying to impress men.

bianca December 11, 2012 at 5:37 pm

box braids seneglease twist kinky twist and so on are really hot right for every season.

Georgia December 13, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I am getting box braids after about 12yrs. I am natural and this will be a great protective style. I dont care about these men opinions! I will continue to love who i am

Nekqua the Natural January 2, 2013 at 3:58 pm

ok..so somehow i stumbled on this ignorant blog. Those men are clearly so ignorant they only like women for their looks and hair. What mature man actually judges a women by her hair? What century have we stepped into when you can’t appreciate a lady’s inner beauty….IGNORANT

p.s. really “smooth and sexy”? not such thing !! NATURAL is SEXY
p.s im 15 and natural j.s.

SiSi January 9, 2013 at 2:58 am

I love these braids, I’m going back to panama for spring break and plan to get them for a fresh on the beach look 😉 ANNNND I have to agree with NIKA. for some reason people have a problem with natural or urban looks, Lets embrace our culture and its versatile style. Beyonce looks like a bag of money -in my rick ross voice lol

Alyssa January 18, 2013 at 4:01 pm

” Ya’ll just want to see women wearing long strait weave down their back, or a bang in their face. Thats BORING!! Thats not what women are about! Men/ Boys don’t understand, we like to change it up and show that we’re versatile. Don’t get mad when we try to do something new. And you don’t have to like it! ITS NOT FOR YOUUUU BOO BOO :-)!!!!! and Don’t You Dare try to tell me its not my hair… Hell, i bought it $$(ching ching) My MONEY My HAIR!!!!

Jnae January 27, 2013 at 1:49 am

Soooo….what exactly is wrong with a supernova rocking a braided hairdo? More generally, what is wrong with the braided look period??? I get it: it’s too ethnically infused for Hollywood and its inebrieated zombies who are far more supportive of fake Playboy bunnies and anorexic waifs than a R&B superstar to casually be out and about the town with her child in these “homely ghetto braids”. God forbid! (Lol) Hey, look at it this way: She still kept it blonde.

Simi March 3, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Ok, what exactly is smooth and sexy?? you mean straight and weave hair only? Please a trend in the 90’s does not define black people’s hair. This is sad! Black women can wear their hair in braids, twists,afro ,flat iron it,whatever it is for as many years as they want. Its been worn that way in Africa for many many years so our braids should not be worn based on when it comes in style but just how we choose to wear our hair. Every body (including these black men making these ridiculous comments) would just have to accept it ,and it is even sad that i have to say they have to learn to accept it! , Why do women of other ethnicities get to wear their hair how they want and we cant unless n it comes “in style”. I am Nigerian and braids are NOT RETRO, A FAD, AND WOULD NOT BE OVER! A braid out is Smooth and sexy…hella sexy!

Melissa March 16, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Ain’t nobody trying to hang around these brothers anyway…besides, why do I care what a bunch of men I don’t know think about my hair? I’m growing my hair out natural, and right now I have Senegalese twists; box braids are something I’m contemplating next. Our hair does not grow “smooth” out of our scalp. “Just get your hair done”? Do these brothers even KNOW how long this style takes to put in? It IS getting your hair done. The problem is that they’ve been sold a beauty standard that black women don’t want to maintain anymore – I certainly don’t want to spend 6-8 hours in the salon damaging my hair with lye anymore, so if us women want to give our relaxed hair a break or just grow it completely out natural…they need to just get used to it…or go on ‘head.

EW April 7, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I understand that men don’ t like braids. Unaware that sometimes if you want your woman to keep her long natural hair…. she has to give her hair a break from chemicals. I have naturally long hair and I am a dark skinned black woman. ( with my hair past the middle of my back) NO ONE believes my hair is as long as it is (I guess because I am dark skinned balck woman) They want to fill through it on the sly to verify… I just laugh and I tell everyone my trick is that every year I wear braids for 5 months.

Men, you sometimes have to start over to keep that look fresh. The same rule applies. When I do braids they are tasteful and classy. YES “CLASSY” I don’t let them get frizzy looking at all. So get over it… Stop making it about being lazy but about preserving their hair strength. Too many chemicals for too long will weaken anyone’s hair.

My boyfriend loves it when I take my hair down he runs his hands through my hair and has a ball. He has also embraced my braids and does the same thing when they are in. Ladies…. don’t let men’s opinion dictate you keeping it healthy….

Sincerely,
BRAIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL…

Wranchetta May 21, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Loving my two strand twist extensions. End of story… Unless of course buddy boy is going to pay some major bills and pay off some loans. If not… He said what… Who he be!!!

ienvyayana June 5, 2013 at 12:39 am

Freak what a man thinks! We dont do it for yall we do it for us! Never do we wake up look in the mirror and wonder if a man will like how we choose to wear our hair! Get outta here!

lelo25 June 12, 2013 at 5:46 am

These guys are dorks lol, braids represent being lazy? Seriously!? Lol then what does a weave represent?
Do these guys want girls who wear weave, but they stil going to complain that its not natural.

Rosemary June 13, 2013 at 8:16 am

I had to comment because these dudes sound stupid….They want us to look more European they don’t want us to show our natural selves. I’ve been wearing braids on and off since I was 16 years old, now I’m 32 years old and wear braids for my protective style, yes I’m a natural beauty. Chris, Kyle, Daniel, and James all are young mainly, Daniel he was in diapers in the 90,s (lol) so he gets a pass, but the other three you are you serious? Now if a man has cornrows as long as they are clean and neat that’s fine with me. I could less what any man things about anyway. As long as my soon to husband think they’re fine and I do not hear any complaints from him that’s all I’m worrying about. SN: Once I left the creamy crack (relaxer) alone my hair is longer than it’s been in years!

Danielle June 25, 2013 at 9:06 am

What’s wrong with box braids they can be sexy to! Then to say it screams lazy really? Its gives our hair a break and it could be a great vacation style and if any of your gf/wives were about to “entertain” you I bet u wouldn’t say “no not with those old lady braids” lol ..men sometimes let their beards grow in for a while some women hate I find it sexy sometimes.embrace are ability to be diverse

Kianna July 15, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Well, I personally do not care what other people have to say about these braids. Like the people who say ” Oh you’re jumping on the bandwagon”. No, I’m getting these because it damn near 101 degrees outside and my hair is gets hot all on my neck and stuff. Plus I have been doing this style before it became a “trend”. 🙂 So to the ladies that can rock this style like nobody’s business GO AHEAD MAMA!!

Scarlett July 17, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Shame on this blog for even bringing up the question.

I suggest whoever called for this article spend more time writing things to empower women to be themselves, no matter what guys think about it.

Rock your hair any which way, ladies! Any guy worth a damn is going to like your for your mind.

kim August 6, 2013 at 6:03 pm

These guys are ignorant, rocking box braids are back in style. I’am a hair styler people of all races come to my salon to get their hair braided and men do find it sexy. I’m a man and i find braids sexy. it’s apart of our African heritage thats why we rock it.

Leslie August 7, 2013 at 10:07 pm

These guys, are guys who thinks, all sister’s should have straight hair. I have had my box braids in for 2 months know, and absolutely love them. I get plenty of complements from guys, of all races, they love them also. I am also a natural sister, and I guest they would hate that also. I wear my hair to fit my life style, not their life style. Braids and natural hair is what we started out with, a chemical that is used to make drain cleaners to unclog sinks, is not something, any person, should put on their heads. A mind is a terrible thing to burn.

Toumani August 14, 2013 at 2:21 pm

box braids are lazy really? braids take hours and h ours to do h ow is it that lazy, these men just probably don’t like braids or natural hairstyles, nothing wrong w/ that but you dont have to try and clown people

t September 7, 2013 at 12:40 pm

What does it matter what men think or anyone,if I wanna do something I do it.

raanyah October 6, 2013 at 9:09 am

sounds to me like the four males they asked are all square ass white men with no insight when it comes to this whatsoever. I like braids, sorry yh.

Latasha October 19, 2013 at 9:04 am

aaand I bet the guys they asked wear skinny nuthugging jeans lol. real black men and some men of other races love the natural black women and African hair styles(braids,twists,locs…) loosen up them tight pants and get your minds right

Ceecee March 2, 2014 at 6:47 am

The high rate if divorce is all that positive. But 1 thing that it proves is women stop giving a f#}¥$$$ a long time ago what men think.am gonna rook my box braid & love it & enjoy it.

sexy braids March 23, 2014 at 4:42 pm

I say we bring them back full force and see what white people say they will hate us lol ahaha

Toni-26 April 14, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Its so amusing that guys generally believe that we (women) get our hair done just to satisfy a man. Our hair is an expression of who we are. We are generally versatile when it comes to hairstyles, if ones HOT we pick it up & when the fire burns out we’re on to the next. Cornrows for guys does have a time limit, simply due to our men & women differences…for example, you would normally see women with hair than you would a man. Im just saying think about it.

Brittni April 28, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I think they are in their right to feel how they feel about the braids. Personally I too think they are ugly. I also feel as though they are a tab bit lazy. Braids are a no go for me.

ShayMARIE May 10, 2014 at 1:50 am

LOL! These guys ain’t playing! To each his own tho, every guy is not gonna love every style it’s okay. My husband loves when I wear box braids, he doesn’t mind sew-ins but he absolutely hates wigs. I’ve been natural for a year and he was scared when I cut it but he loves the way it smells and feels to the touch and ultimately loves when I sport my own hair over every other style. ANYWAY… Some guys like box braids and obviously others don’t lol.

Vinnie June 5, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Next they’ll be saying ‘afros’ are so 80s. smh. Give me a break, like we give a fuhh what they think -can we as women not do something for US and not to please men? Honestly. Besides if we want to include them, my fiancé loves seeing me in braids he finds them cute and tidy so I’m good. I agree with Kyle though…braids aren’t new I been rocking them since childhood! Beyonce and Solange didn’t invent it so its nothing special really.

Renee August 6, 2014 at 10:35 am

People constantly compliment my braids…men and women. I am not bald and have a lot of my own hair, but I love braids and an ethnic look. Who cares what some men think, that probably have their own issues and flaws? If he ain’t feelin’ your look and YOU…then he isn’t the man for you. Sorry, but what I like and wear is not predicated on what some anonymous men think! Sisters be YOU! Wear what you like, be beautiful however you choose.

Author…you should maybe check yourself

SMH

Fiona November 5, 2014 at 6:31 am

No one cares what any of these silly men think. Thanks 🙂

leon June 3, 2015 at 1:27 pm

If the man that tells you he doesn’t like box braids isn’t yours ,you are giving his opinion too much thought. If he is yours, be sure you get the right size and color, in addition to having it professionally done. Dark skin and light colored hair is a no no, add color but a color that coordinate with other hair on your face. If you must have a light color, place it as streaks. Maintain your box braids well, smelling and looking clean,etc. You wear the braids the braids doesn’t wear you. For the men and women who don’t like them no matter what you do, it is what it is. One of the first things my man told me about my hair was, “whatever you do, please don’t get braids or twist”, and that I did. I changed his thoughts on box braids. I couldn’t get him out my face. He not only complimented me but asked me to do them again. Beyonce had the wrong color and obviously wasn’t professionally done. Beyonce wear micros with proper coloring and coordination. The box braids had to be done by a close friend or family member, who she couldn’t say no too, lol!