Oprah’s Hair Isn’t Totally Relaxed, It’s Slightly Relaxed — Andre Walker Explains It All

by West Parsons on September 26, 2012 · 11 comments

in celebrities, in the news

Those were the words of Andre Walker, Oprah’s stylists in an interview with ModernSalon.

When this photo was first published I thought ‘wig’ immediately. There was no way I would believe otherwise. But after the explanation Andre Walker provided in his latest interview regarding the Queen of Media, it all started to make sense.  I admit there are a few questionable statements, but now looking at the photo with uncovered words, I do believe this is Lady O’s hair. Read on!

READ MORE: Andre Clarifies His Statement About Kinky Hair

On How This Look Was Achieved
Usually I start with hair that’s a little damp, and on her we add a little bit of some sort of oil and a little bit of styling cream, something that gets it a little bit of shine and hold. Then we cornrow it while it’s damp and then, overnight if you can, let it dry. Then the next day I unbraid it and finger it out until I get it exactly where I want it and maybe add a little bit more oil to it like, Argan oil. That’s pretty much it, it’s as simple as that.

I kind of teased it a little bit, too, to get it that full. There’s another cover coming out where it’s also natural but not as full. It’s probably a little, for lack of a better word, floppier.

On Oprah’s Natural Hair
If you’ve read the magazine about her hair, it’s exactly that. It’s not totally natural. It’s her hair after it’s been braided while it’s damp, and that’s the texture that it leaves. Her natural texture is similar, this is a more stylized version of what it looks like

On Oprah’s Hair Type
Oprah has slightly relaxed hair, it isn’t totally relaxed. I relax it normally to the point of being just a little more manageable. We only do it maybe a few times a year. Her hair is pretty much in its semi-natural state. It’s pretty kinky and full. If you have relaxed hair you could possibly get the look, probably not as an afro look or a full look. It would probably be a little straighter. But I think you could still probably do it.

Read more on how Oprah keeps her healthy @ModernSalon

Be honest! What were your initial thoughts on this hair?

kisha September 26, 2012 at 6:49 pm

i still think it is a wig!!! lol they just don’t want to admit it.

Trella September 26, 2012 at 7:29 pm

So she is texturized?!!

ladee jas September 26, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I didn’t (& still don’t) understand all the hype and figured it was a wig. But then when i saw the pic up close and didnt think it was natural and figured that you could achieve that look with relaxed hair by doing cornrows. Then i read the excerpt from the article and laughed – cuz that’s exactly what he did! lol

Sheila September 27, 2012 at 2:54 pm

The hair can be teased for a picture and it probably doesn’t stand up like that all the time. She’s texlaxed.

JoAnn September 27, 2012 at 3:01 pm

What Andre is saying likely is that her hair is relaxed but not completely processed. Tex-laxed is what he probably should have said.

JanaeJanaeJanae September 27, 2012 at 6:17 pm

So, basically she isn’t natural… That Andre is a silly, silly man. O_o

My hair could have done that too when I had a relaxer because it is so thick. A full-relaxer not a half of one which I’ve never heard of, btw.

Is it just me or are the things this man says more and more ridiculous?

Stew September 28, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I completely agree with you…

April September 29, 2012 at 10:39 am

She needs a new stylist. Andre just can’t give an interview without disparaging natural hair. Her hair is not manageable when natural because he hasn’t bothered to learn how to manage it. But regardless of how he styles her hair, he should just describe it without putting judgment on everything else.

Napia Mia December 9, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Bottom line. SHE’S. NOT. NATURAL. PERIOD.

And she needs to stop letting Andre brain wash her about her hair not being natural when it’s in its natural state.

She just really needs to dump him.

Yeah…

Napia Mia December 9, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Correction to my comment:

I meant to say, And she needs to stop letting Andre brain wash her about her hair not being MANAGEABLE when it’s in its natural state.

Chandra February 21, 2014 at 2:04 am

She’s always had really full thick hair, so it is very possible that it is all of her hair. (first impression was beautiful and I did question if it was all of hers just because it does look really tall in the crown? But bottom line is we know she has a TON of hair?? ) Anywho he is definitely telling the truth about how to achieve the style. I use to do this with my relaxed hair ALL the time long before knowing I wanted to be natural. I would get this same curl set but not as Big. Since I’ve been natural I have not tried it because my hair is so thick, kinky, and cottony I don’t feel like struggling through putting in cornrows but yep! I always say if someone wants to relax doing it this way is the healthiest.