Out with the Old… My Fall 2012 Hair Care Regimen

by West Parsons on September 4, 2012 · 18 comments

in my hair

Not completely throwing the baby out with the bath water, but there are some parts of my regimen that have been done away with, some parts that remain and new steps added.  Do I still air dry?  How often am I doing all of this?  What NEW steps have I added? These are all details that will be shared and a video demonstration will also help to shed a little light. Let’s begin!

Pre-poo [NEW]
Before shampooing or deep co-washing, I remove shed hairs with oil. At this time my hair is sectioned into 4 to prepare for  conditioning (or shampooing when needed).  I let oil sit for a minimum of 45 minutes before proceeding.

Shampoo [OLD]
This is done as needed.  Shampooing usually only occurs prior to completing a product review or when build-up needs to be removed, usually every 3-4 weeks.

Deep Co-Wash [OLD]
This is mandatory. I often apply the conditioner with a heavy hand, to dry hair, in sections of 4, starting with the ends and going upwards.  Using a hair therapy wrap, I leave the conditioner in for a minimum of 2 hours. While rinsing the conditioner, I detangle with a wide tooth comb. During this step, I also use the pads of my fingers to massage and lift debris from my scalp.

Moisturizing [NEW]
Immediately after rinsing, I separate the 4 sections into 8-12 sections and moisturize with a leave-in.  I allow my hair to mostly air dry and then I use a blow dryer to stretch the hair and prepare for styling. After each section is stretched, I immediately apply additional moisturizer and re-braid or twist and allow my hair to absorb.

Styling [NEW]
Typically my hair is twisted and then worn in a bun for most of the week.  Towards the end of the week, when I want to get just a bit fly, I will curl the ends and twist it out (similar to this). Doing this can add an additional week to the life of the style.

READ MORE: Watch Me Style| Banana Clipped Pin Curled Bun

Introducing NEW U by Kotex® Sleek* Tampons with PerfectTouch* Grip for “just right” placement, a smooth tip for easy insertion, and a slim size for your comfort. Learn more here.

Serious protection is now seriously flexible. NEW U by Kotex® CleanWear® Pads feature a MemoryFlex* core that moves with your body, and they’ve got you covered with an ultra-flexible 4-layer absorbency system. Plus, wings help prevent bunching and scrunching. Learn more here.

Disclosure: Compensation was provided by U by Kotex® Brand via Glam Media.  The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of U by Kotex® Brand

tbaby September 4, 2012 at 6:31 pm

the small towel that you wrapped your hair with .. what towel is that? are those the ones that you heat in the microwave and it holds its heat while on your hair? or is that the towel that is just designed to keep your hair while its wrapped up? i need that

westNDNbeauty September 4, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Hi Tbaby, What you see me using is called a Hair Therapy Wrap . There are gel packs inside and you warm it in the microwave.

Monica September 4, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Let me begin with…LOVE YOUR BLOG AND YOUTUBE CHANNEL! I check in often to see what’s new. I have been natural now for just under a year (long term transition). I am on a journey to WL hair, which I have broken down into smaller goals…1st up is full APL by spring 2013. The pic for your blog entry on Sept 4th, “out with the old…” is beautiful, and seems to be an awesome protective style! Would you be able to give some info on how you achieved the hair style?

westNDNbeauty September 4, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Thanks so much Monica! The style in question is what I call a banana clip bun. My hair was twisted in single twists which were curled with flexi rods. I clipped it up in the banana clip and pinned the curls in place to cover the banana clip. Its pretty easy. I’ll probably do a tutorial on this for you. Stay tuned!

Tiffany September 8, 2012 at 2:09 pm

What products did you use to shampoo, condition and style your hair. You look like you have a similar texture to mine and I was looking for something that would work good on my hair.

westNDNbeauty September 8, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Hi Tiffany! I use a number of different products. Lately I have using BASK Cacao DC or Eden Body Works Jojoba Monoi DC, Come Clean Shampoo and Pura Body Naturals Cupuacu Butter and Murumuru Moisture Milk. But next month I may have a whole new line up of products.

Speech buddy September 8, 2012 at 7:17 pm

You hair is so long!!! I have just started on my natural journey almost a year ago! I cant wait til I can get it to be the long like yours!!!!

westNDNbeauty September 9, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Congrats Speech Buddy! I’m on call if you need me 🙂

ms.mekaF September 17, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Please recommend something for dry, brittle coils to impart moisture and shine! I’m at a loss for my curls!

TopModel717 September 18, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I love the style that’s in the picture at the beginning of this post please do a tutorial! 🙂 and Love the Moroccan style earrings where did you get them??

westNDNbeauty September 18, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Thanks. The earrings are from MyRoommatesKloset.com. I will be doing a tutorial on the style in a few weeks. Make sure you’re subbed to my youtube channel (wwestNDNbeautyy)!

MsMissReRe September 29, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Do you blow dry your hair on most of your styles? I stay away from heat. I only blow dry or press my hair out once a year. I will be doing a length check video response on November 19 to see how much longer my hair is. 🙂 Please forgive me if you answered this question in a previous video or comment. I am new and going through your videos. I too live in Atlanta and right now it is past my bedtime but I am addicted to finding new natural hair styles…..Okay this was super random….LOL

westNDNbeauty September 29, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Hi MsReRe, I did state that I blow dry my hair before styling. I used to stretch by air drying but that takes at least 2 days from wash to style.

Chigurl April 1, 2013 at 9:10 am

From one natural diva to another love the videos, great styles!!..keep up the great work.

GetFit September 6, 2013 at 11:11 pm

Hey West! So I watched sooo many of your videos trying to get this right…do you complete the steps in this order 1) Remove shed hairs with oil 2) Deep Condition 3) Shampoo? Or do you Deep Condition after the Shampoo?

westNDNbeauty September 7, 2013 at 1:01 am

Hey There. When just wearing my hair in natural styles I
1) Remove shed hairs
2) Shampoo if needed
3) Deep Condition

When wearing my hair flat ironed I
1) Remove shed hairs
2) Pre-poo
3) Shampoo
4) Deep Condition

Hope that helps.

Christine December 16, 2013 at 11:44 am

Hope this isn’t a daft question. If water is the ultimate moisturiser, obviously you can’t use it after a blow-dry or hair will revert. What product was you referring to when you said… ”after each section is stretched, I immediately applied additional moisturiser then re-braid or twist and allow the hair to absorb.

westNDNbeauty December 16, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Hi Christine, I prefer cream moisturizers in general and I usually use the same one I blow dried with. You just have to make sure you use enough to moisturize, but not enough to revert. There is a fine balance. Still remember, my hair is not blow dried to be flat ironed. Being that I wear my stretched hair in twists, if the additional moisturizer were to cause a bit of reversion it would be ok, just as long as my hair doesn’t shrink to its natural state.