The death of Jamaican-born Anastasia Graham (not picture above), due to what a UK pathologist reported was likely a result of chemicals in her hair glue, has sparked widespread debate as to the dangers associated with this commonly used solvent.
The 34-year-old, who had been wearing hair extensions for the past 14 years, collapsed after a long night of dancing at a nightclub in London, where she lived.
According to a report in the Daily Mail, pathologist Michael Heath told the inquest into her death at Southwark Coroner’s Court in London that the latex glue used by the Jamaican woman could have been the cause for the anaphylactic shock that resulted in her death.
A post-mortem failed to find any abnormalities with her organs or other substances that could have been blamed.
“I’ve seen cases where people using solvent to apply extensions has actually caused anaphylactic shock,” the pathologist said, before adding, “There are about 10 to 20 deaths a year in this country, many more in America. I have seen four in the last three months.”
He said traces of the glue could have seeped into Graham’s bloodstream as she danced into the wee hours of the morning at the club where her boyfriend was the DJ. The newspaper reported that she suddenly collapsed as she stepped through the doorway of their home in South-East London and efforts to resuscitate her failed.
Local trichologist Dr Hyacinth Oates said it is possible for someone to have a negative reaction to hair glue which causes them to experience an anaphylactic shock.
“Her reaction is like when you are allergic to seafood — it is the same thing that she experienced but to more of a detrimental degree I would say,” she told All Woman.
“She has been using it a long time, so her body became so sensitive to it, that one of the days it just went straight into her blood and that was it,” she surmised.
READ MORE: Nadine Wilson of Jamaica Observer