Not Even Solange Knowles Can Evade a TSA Afro Pat Down

by West Parsons on November 15, 2012 · 8 comments

in celebrities, in the news

Singer Solange Knowles took to Twitter on Wednesday after TSA security guards at a Miami airport demanded to search her afro.

Solange, Beyoncé Knowles’ younger sister, expressed some disappointment but quickly pivoted to poking fun at the TSA to her 1.3 million Twitter followers.

“I kid you not. This just happened to me,” Knowles tweeted along with a link to a story about a Dallas woman who claimed “she was humiliated at an airport when TSA agents patted down her” afro.

“Discrim-FRO-nation. My hair is not a storage drawer,” Knowles went on to say.

It appears the TSA afro pat downs is a fairly recent change or at least men and women who wear their hair naturally didn’t make news headlines until last year. The political news site TheHill.com covered the issue in July 2011 with the New York Times following the story a month later.

Take a look at Solange Knowles tweets below that inspired my rendering of events in the image at the top. (That is not an actual picture of Solange getting her afro pat down, it’s a combination of three images photoshopped together to illustrate the afro pat down.)

READ MORE: Solange’s TSA Afro Pat Down Disaster

Has your ‘fro been violated by TSA?  What are your thoughts on the afro pat downs?

HerBestHair November 15, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Yep, the TSA did check my hair. It was in 2-strand twists. Since I take my safety seriously I didn’t mind. I would rather be on the flight that has passengers that went through strict security than passengers that did not. I did a blog post a while back about some black women that tried to smuggle drug through the airport in their hair – I blame them more than the TSA for the hair searches. Hair is being searched for a reason.

anonymous November 19, 2012 at 9:18 am

I wear my hair in updos which are often full of boby pins and twice I have set off metal detectors because of this, once at Charles de Gaulle Airport Paris and the other at the Olympic games in London. In the case of the former they searched me but didn’t realise it was my hair until they realised that I had no other metal on me. At the olympics I told them that I had bobbipins in my hair – they didn’t seem to get that at all! I think that because one person smuggled drugs in their hair doesn’t mean we’re all doing it! If your hair is only two inches long where are you hiding drugs?

FM November 19, 2012 at 11:40 am

Yes, my hair was searched. It was in a two strand twist updo with hair pins so I was expecting the search. I also noticed other people (without afro textured hair) getting their hair searched as well, buns, big ponytails, etc.

SumKindaWnrful December 1, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I got my hair patted down last year leaving ATL. It was in an updo with bobby pins. Any updo of mine is pretty big and yes, it’s possible an reasonable to hide stuff in there.

Necole December 10, 2012 at 10:59 am

I see it, its at the bottom of the picture, lol! Reading is fundamental:)

westNDNbeauty December 10, 2012 at 6:32 pm

🙂 Glad you saw it

Thelly December 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm

It happened to me this morning when I left from houston. The black lady patted my long hair don’t care and I was not comfortable. I blamed these women who hide the damn drugs! How so stupid! If I wear updo or something for my wedding and save my time instead of go to islands and fix it. I am killing my time which I miss my enjoy. Forget it!

Chellie December 15, 2012 at 9:09 am

That is such foolishness for them to even do that