6 Curly Girl Friendly Silicone-Free Heat Protectants

by West Parsons on December 19, 2012 · 8 comments

in hair care

curly blonde hairSilicone. The reaction to this ingredient by women with Natural hair varies along a wide spectrum; some despise it for the seemingly stifling coating and others love for the resulting silky strands.  However you feel about silicones, you know that it is very rare for them not to be listed as a major ingredient in heat styling products. After all, scientists have identified silicones to be the one ingredient that slows the conductivity of heat on hairs’ outer surface, while products like water and mineral oil speed up the conductivity. Read more about that here in How to Prevent Heat Damage When Flat Ironing Natural Hair.

Putting all that science aside, for some, silicones are simply not apart of their manes’ diet and the cosmetic industry has catered to that consumer. Here is a list of Curly Girl friendly heat protectants which do not contain silicones of any sorts.

Aveda Brilliant Damage Control ($24)
Product Claims: The foundation for any hair style, use this spray as a pre-styling tool to protect your hair from the hazards of combing, heat styling, and sun damage.

Nubian Heritage Honey & Black Seed Heat Protect Leave-in Conditioning Cream ($13)
Product Claims: Our all-natural conditioning cream provides all-day straightness and shine, while protecting hair from heat styling damage. Heat protection, moisture retention. Arabian honey and macadamia nut oil moisturize, repair and protect scalp. Black seed oil rejuvenates and balances hair and scalp with its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and healing benefits. Babassu oil strengthens hair and preserves elasticity. Carrot oil helps protect against thermal damage. Keratin helps repair damage and nourishes hair, leaving it smooth and silky

Pure Elements Smoothing Blow Dry Creme ($4)
Product Claims: Soft Hold Tames Frizz Even In High Humidity. Helps Prevent Damage From Blow Drying. Enriched With Pure Bamboo Extract. Smooths Hair While Adding Body. Color-Safe Formula.

Sedu Volumizing Heat Protecting Boost ($13)
Product Claims: Volumizing Heat Protecting Boost from Sedu brings a new dimension to hair styling. Suitable for all hair types, it enhances the effectiveness of your blowdryer while protecting your hair from heat damage.

Mixed Chicks Straightening Serum ($17)
Product Claims: Thermal protectant for heat styling. Temporarily smooth and straighten naturally curly, frizzy or relaxed hair with this humidity resistant formula that cuts drying time in half and creates a sleek look. Great for wet sets and blow drying styles.

Giovanni Straight Fast ($8)
Product Claims: Ultimate hair straightening elixir; Smoothes and soothes hair for the ultimate sleek style- Straightens hair temporarily until your next shampoo- Certified organic botanicals protect hair from heat styling.

Have you tried any of these products? Do you know of any cone-free heat protectants?

AmeeraNakisha December 19, 2012 at 11:44 am

Thanks for this post. My hair cant do silicone at all. It makes it stiff and non fluid, meaning my hair feels coated and tangles easily. I found that doing your overnight pre-poo method gives me the best results.

However, I do on occasion use, Giovanni leave in or Mixed Chicks heat protectants and neither contain any cones

westNDNbeauty December 19, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Thanks! I’ll add them to the list!

NaturalPhD December 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Thanks so much for this post! I haven’t used heat in over a year… partly because I didn’t know of any silicone-free heat protectants. Though my relaxed and transitioning hair loved silicones, my natural hair can’t stand them. I am definitely going to try some of these. The Nubian Heritage one looks great! I like their other products. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!!

westNDNbeauty December 19, 2012 at 5:49 pm

You’re welcome! Happy holidays to you as well!

Sheila December 19, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I will check these products out especially the Pure Elements because this week I’m stretching my twists with heat. I usually twist my hair wet.

FabiolaA April 2, 2013 at 10:59 am

I want the models hair color!!!!

uniquelee October 24, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I know this post is old but, Nubian Heritage has a heat protect any Honey & Blackseed spray as well. I’ve found it at Walgreens! I love the Aveda Brilliant product too!

rachel March 25, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I know this is an older post, but I am searching for a silicone free protectants. I do not have curly hair, but i avoid silicones since i am on the no-poo method almost a year.The first three products on your list are AMAZING! A tip – the Sedu product is very nourishing but it can leave your hair brittle because it contains protein. i only use it once a month.

and as far as the rest of the products, they should not be on the list! sometimes ingredients online can be wrong (unfortunately). I feel like Sephora always deceives me because they tend to list ingredients as the manufacturer advertises them (such as ALOE and SHEA for moisture, PANTHENOL to repair). Ingredients on the back of the product are listed in order, with the first being the largest/most ingredient.. with that being said..

the Mixed Chicks product lists amodimethicone as the third ingredient, which is silicone that is not water soluble – meaning that they leave residue on your hair and can only be removed by using a sulfate shampoo.

the Giovanni Straight Fast Straightening Elixir contains silicones as well: cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, phenytrimethicoane. not sure about the last of those 3, but the first 2 are not water soluble silicones (though they are toward the end of the ingredient list so maybe the amount is not as much as the Mixed Chicks Serum)

hope this helps! happy styling :)