4 Products Which Promote Growth of Natural Hair

by West Parsons on January 23, 2013 · 20 comments

in hair care, my hair, reader e-mail

Bun Tutorial [+]

Q: Hi! I love your blog! I just wanted to know what hair products you use for hair growth! Please note that I am an accounting undergraduate who is on a tight budget! Please help! God bless :- ) -Samantha

A: Hey girl! You are in luck! The product I use is FREE and definitely within your budget — it’s called PATIENCE lol. In all seriousness, I don’t use anything special. In my regimen you’d find that I emphasize moisture in every step. This is quite important since moisturized hair is less likely to break when manipulated, and I do so gently.

I also do not comb my hair often either. I wear my hair in protective styles regularly (i.e. mini-braids). Any given wash day ends with my hair twisted into two-strand twists and those twists remain for at least a week and are worn in a bun. When my twists get to the point where they are on their last (usually 6-8 days), I re-moisturize, roll the ends with perming rods overnight, and twist it out the next day. I wear that twist-out for as long as it can last (usually 6-10 days). If my hair begins to loose definition, I re-moisturize using the LOC method. With my fingers only, I detangle and re-braid or twist my hair into larger sections.

In addition to the bun pictured above, my hair is worn in these styles after the twists are removed:

I encourage you to also reduce the manipulation of your hair and make sure your moisture levels are adequate. If you are adamant about products which encourage growth, I’ve heard of a few:

Viviscal Treats temporary hair loss and thinning hair. Results will be noticeable after 6-8 weeks, with full results noticeable after 6 months. This is not an overnight solution, but maintaining the regimen will lead to fantastic results

Jamaican Black Castor Oil Diluted with another oil or by itself, castor oil can be used for scalp massages. The increased blood flow to the scalp paired with the additional ash content, due to the roasting of the beans, have lead to studies of JBCO being effective in hair growth.

Camille Rose Ultimate Hair Growth Serum Helps promote thick and healthy hair. Repairs hair loss due to thinning, breakage and damage. Maintains moisture in hair and scalp. Improves blood circulation by conditioning the scalp. Opens blocked hair follicles. Helps restore lost hair, healthy growth and natural color.

Biotin Promoting healthy hair and skin, biotin also helps with hair growth and dryness, as it increases elasticity in the core of strands preventing breakage.

What advice do you have to offer Samantha?

Lin January 23, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I loved this post. Patience is a must! I have always been one to “play” in my hair, so I protective styling is necessary for me to keep my hands out of it.

westNDNbeauty January 24, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Thank you Lin! Always encouraging to get this kind of feedback.

Sad and Discouraged January 24, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Dear author of this page/website (and or others reading) – PLEASE READ & HELP!!!!!!!!

I used to have a nice head of hair. KEYWORDS… USED TO.
So I shaved my head out of frustration do to breakage after getting presses & not knowing how to keep it moisturized. I’m new to this site as of 2day & starting over. Like, 10 steps forward….87 steps back :-/

I am REALLY trying to remain positive as I still do want to be natural but IDK what to do. My hair/head is SO DRY! I have a super huge head that I am now forced to wear a satin cap & slap a wig on it until my hair grows back. I don’t expect results overnight but I am so frustrated because I helped others go natural & gave tips & their hair looks awesome but when I needed help NOBODY WOULD HELP ME! AHHHHHHHH!!!

Ok so now that I got that scream of frustration out of the way, let me just say that your site is one cold piece of work. I appreciate from what I have browsed today that you actually answer people when they ask questions which is highly frustrating for me on other sites.

Anyway, I guess I just don’t know what to use/do anymore. My hair/head is so dry all the time. I used to use braid spray but to be truthful when I stopped using it because of its ingredients –
Water (Aqua)
Glycerin
Triethanolamine
Polyquaternium-6
Octoxynol-9
Propylene Glycol and Diazolidinyl Urea and Methylparaben and Propylparaben
Simethicone
Disodium EDTA
Fragrance (Parfum)

Everybody told me NOOOOOOOO GIRL STOP USING THAT IT HAS PROPYLENE GLYCOL IN IT & PARABENS … But WTH!, Soon as I stopped using it my hair DRIED THE HELL OUT (excuse my French) and broke the hell off (sorry again). And the worst of it is NOBODY was willing to share what I could use to make my own braid spray. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Yes I understand everyone’s hair is different. My hair is super nappy (IDK if they even have a number for it its so nappy – Probably would be like a 17z) almost like a brillo pad that had a baby with some dried up nappy lint in your pocket. It’s just nappy & super DRY.

I’ve tried to experiment but nothing works. Either too greasy and somehow my hair still had a dry crunchy feeling to it with the oils in it (with grease running down my highway of a forehead) or its like my hair would absorb it & an hour later, my hair is left itchy & me looking like I’m on something constantly scratching my head.

I tend to ramble so you’ll have to excuse me but can you offer any suggestions for super nappy, dry hair/scalp? I so miss my hair & now I look like a 14 year old boy with this wig off. I hate wearing this thing & I just need some sort of liberation from this hair-hell I am in.

I used to wear braids A LOT & the only thing that gave me moisture was that braid spray everybody said was unhealthy for me. Coconut oil by itself didn’t do anything as when my braids came down; my hair was somehow still dry. I am learning now more that I read & observe that I suppose I wasn’t using it in its best light by just applying it to my scalp/braids when I used to possess a nice head of hair (those were the days)

I just don’t know what else to do. It’s like my head doesn’t know what the word hair is anymore :-(
And when it does grow, in certain areas; mainly the back of my head… its so dry it instantly breaks off. Like DANG YO! GIVE THE SPROUTS A CHANCE TO GROW AT LEAST AN INCH… OR SOMETHING! but no…It doesn’t.

I recently changed my diet also as when I lost weight previously drank a lot of water and consumed foods in high iron (spinach) and other natural goodies it grew (a lil) but seriously… My hair needs an intervention.

Any advice you ladies or gents for that matter; I’d greatly appreciate.
I apologize for the long message but this was kinda therapeutic for me cause a sista is STRESSED! I’m not used to being a balded headed grouch & hopefully I can gain some tips to get my swag back cause for now its GONE!

Sincerely,
Sad and Discouraged :-(
If anyone can send any helpful tip/hints/suggestions/anything; please send an email to this account I set up just for this: in_a_state_of_insanity@yahoo.com
Please don’t spam me. I’m just looking for help

westNDNbeauty January 24, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Wow! I know you must be frustrated. I was definitely where you are before the market had a boom of natural hair products. But now that there are so many products out there, there has to be something that works for your hair type. Have your checked on my recent post about the LOC method? That may be of assistance to you. I’ll try to create a succinct question and answer this thoroughly in a blog post. In the mean time, be easy lol.

Sad and Discouraged January 24, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Thank you ma’am! I’m looking it over now. I’ll try to remain optimistic about it all and learn from women such as yourself since technically I really don’t have anymore hair to damage & I figure I can’t go any further down hill as I have officially hit rock bottom (BOOM)

Again, I know you hear it all the time, but KUDOS to you for creating this site. I wish I found it way back yonder; then maybe I wouldn’t have had to shave my giant freakish head. Live and learn I suppose.

Anyway, If you do create a blog post & answer my inquiry in detail that would be the most awesomest (99% sure that’s not a real word) thing in the world! **Telling others about your great work/site now**

KEEP UP THE GREATNESS YOU HAVE ACHIEVED!
Stay blessed!
Citrine ♥

Ashlynn March 11, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I am so sorry girl and I feel for you… Maybe the spray you used to use that others said wasn’t good for your hair should be reintroduced in your hair routine. I mean it may not technically be good for hair but if its working for you then why fix whats not broke. Everyone’s hair is different so please do what works for you. My hair used to be super dry too but I changed a few things in my routine and it helped immensely.

1. I started co-washing instead of using shampoo and WOW I mean WOW!!!!!!!!!!! the difference is out of this world…Not only was my hair more moisturized but curls I didn’t even realize I had started popping up lol.
2. I changed my leave conditioner because my old one was not doing the trick (side eye). Sometimes certain products are just not gonna do it for your hair. After all its insane to continue using products that are not working
3. I implemented the LOC method and now I can go at least 3 days without doing anything and still have moisturized hair. After those 3 days I will refresh with a few sprays of water a little leave in conditioner and seal with some oil. Then I’m good to go. Well at least for a day or….maybe two…maybe anyway…..
Keep your head up girl. This is your chance to start fresh so please don’t be discouraged.

Jessica January 26, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Great info! Just joined your site. Can’t wait to read more. Peace and blessings!

westNDNbeauty January 26, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Thanks Jessica!

Chai (Nitra's cuz) January 26, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Hey West, Girl u know I just love your hair. I’ve been natural now for little over 3yrs after suffering with hairloss due to a medication I was taking (and probably stress too)! I just wanted to let you know about another product I have but solely using on my hair sense the very beginning. I use Hawaiian silky gel activator “dry look”. My hairdresser started using it from the very beginning on my hair and it is all I have ever used. Besides coloring my hair (getting a couple of grays boo), I have not used any other chemicals on it. I love being natural and everyone is always asking me about what I use. Hawaiian silky says “gel activator” but it doesn’t make your hair hard or brittle. It’s soft, manageable, moisturized & healthy. Now I’m just trying to get it longer to change the style but I love what you have done with yours in the different photos. Nitra is natural now as well& hers looks like yours, its so long and thick and pretty. I wish I could send you some pics, but you can see them on my facebook page. keep doing what you do girl, I’m loving it.

westNDNbeauty January 26, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Hey Chai! I’ve heard raves about that brand, especially the 14 in 1 leave-in. I love your short look — makes you look young and fresh-faced :-) I saw few pics of Nitra’s hair and it is just as thick, full and lush as I expected it would be. Thanks for checking me out!

Chandra January 28, 2013 at 12:15 pm

This Twisted bun is gorgeous! And I love your regimen!

westNDNbeauty January 30, 2013 at 7:57 am

Thanks. The bun is so simple to make — the banana clip is key to making it look bigger with shorter hair.

AmeeraNakisha February 1, 2013 at 11:46 pm

So I have been natural since 2006 BUT wore sew in weaves and never really care about how I maintained my hair because it was hidden. I decided to go “really” natural June 16th of 2011. My hair grows pretty consistently and I like my natural wave pattern but my issue is, my hair is EXTREMELY DRY. I mean its so dry that it gets brittle and breaks off.

I tried TONS of natural products til I can start a natural hair product beauty supply. I tried every no heat, wash & go, shingling, twist/braid out possible and my hair was a mess for about 6 months, I was about to go back to my weave until I lucked up and found West’s youtube channel. I don’t even remember how I found it but it was a life saver, oh her and longhairdontcare2011…I know everyone is so anti heat and blah blah blah BUT I wash my hair weekly, deep condition and detangle, then blow dry very carefully and use B.A.S.K or Pura Naturals for moisturizer/styler and do West’s sig style (braid out with a curl rod at the end) or one of the other styles from LHDC channel (she also uses heat to stretch) and I’m good for the week. I may have to re-twist once but other than that its pretty simple.

Again, I know most naturals are anti heat but my hair is weird, most will tell me I have “good” hair (whatever that means) I have an s wave pattern but my hair is so dry and coarse that couple that with the shrinkage and single strand knots, its just a mess and my hair breaks bad. For the record, I had waist length hair but because I didn’t know what the hell I was doing for about the firs 6-8 months and didn’t take care of my hair before then, I had about 6 inches of damaged ends. and I have been cutting a little at a time. I am now mid back length and would like to cut about 2 more inches but my hair actually looks decent now. So by stretching once a week with mild heat blow drying and then doing braid outs, I can’t actually maintain my hair good.

Not saying this is the answer for everyone but it works for me. It makes me not damage my own hair out of frustration. If I could post pics I would, just because I blow dry I am still living that bush life LOL

westNDNbeauty February 3, 2013 at 10:15 am

Wanna be featured in the HER CONFESSIONS segment? :-) sound like an encouraging story!

Vanissa March 16, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I like the twists you have on the 1st picture. I wishes someone could do them for me

westNDNbeauty March 26, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Thanks Vanissa. They are pretty easy to do. Just make sure you twist on stretched hair.

Jakay March 23, 2013 at 1:05 am

I saw your videos on you tube for the first time today. I’ve thought about going natural before. I’ve even went without a perm for a year twice. Seeing your videos made me want to do it more now than ever. I LOVE YOUR HAIR! I do have a question. My last perm was two months ago, should I take any necessary to my hair while I wait for my perm to strip?

westNDNbeauty March 23, 2013 at 6:53 am

Hi Jakay! Congrats on your decision to go natural. I’m so glad you found my videos! To answer your question, relaxer does not wear off. To go natural you must continue to grow your hair without use of any chemicals. Soon enough you will have a head full of kinky and/or curly hair.

Valerie March 27, 2013 at 5:36 am

Thank you for that. I will definitely try the Camille Rose Ultimate hair growth serum.

Nappy Queen September 15, 2013 at 12:56 am

Same here, I don’t use products. Sometimes I put extra virgin olive oil in my hair, though. A good oil treatment feels nice sometimes and can help de-tangle. Try to keep your hair away from cotton (pillows, sheets, hats, etc) since they tend to strip to moisture from our hair. Also, don’t wash your hair everyday. Patience is good advice, but also CONSISTENCY! I have issues with that, but try to be consistent in keeping up your hair health.

Much love on your journey :)