Maintain Moisture in Natural Hair Using the LOC Method

by West Parsons on January 3, 2013 · 18 comments

in hair care, my hair, recipes

Q: West, I love reading your posts and watching your videos! Your hair always looks so moisturized and bouncy. I’ve checked out your regimen and noticed, unlike me you don’t have to moisturize everyday. This Winter weather has made things even worse. I moisturize everyday because I don’t want to experience a set-back caused by breakage, but before the day ends my hair is a desert.  What gives?! Any recommendations? -Kenya

A: Hi Kenya! Sounds like daily moisturizing alone, is not cutting it. Have no fear! Captain Save-A-Mane is here! #Corny lol. Anywho, now that there is a permanent chill in the air, I can admit that I experienced the same issue. Consider this, not only should you  layer your clothing in the Winter, but your should also consider layering your products and protecting your hair as well.

Deep Condition The need to moisturize hair occurs well before adding your moisturizer/leave-in and styling. Deep conditioning is your first line of defense when building moisture in your strands.

Leave-in Conditioner Follow deep conditioning with a water-based leave-in moisturizer.
Oil Seal the moisture with an oil. I recommend almond oil for its moisture and cuticle smoothing properties. Smooth and flattened cuticles reduces the possibility of moisture escape.
Cream Preferably a creamy butter adds an additional layer of moisture sealant.

Protective Style Opt for buns! Twists or braids which are bunned are even better choice; they help to retain more moisture than loose hair. You can also prolong your wash day if need be by wearing a braid-out or twist-out later.

Below Erica demonstrates how she uses the LOC method to revive and old braid out.  Subscribe to Honestly Erica on YouTube or read more about her regimen HERE.

Do you use the LOC method?

Jennifer Kennedy January 3, 2013 at 10:50 am

I don’t use the LOC method, but as mentioned above protective styling & a great leave in helped me. I always apply my leave-in after rinsing my hair with water. Water is a great moisturizer.

How do you keep your hair moisturized after flat ironing it? What type of product should I use? I just flat ironed my hair and it’s like the Sahara Desert!

westNDNbeauty January 3, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Hi Jennifer! The trick with maintaining moisture in natural hair that has been flat ironed is to deep condition heavily before flat ironing. After your hair is flat ironed, you risk the possibility of your hair reverting if you were to use a TRUE moisturizer. You may be able to get a way with moisturizing if you used a very small amount and then immediately set your hair in rollers or pin curls of some sort to avoid the hair frizzing. Otherwise try using oils (jojoba or sweet almond) if you prefer not to risk using a moisturizer.

Jennifer Kennedy January 3, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Good point!! I definitely didn’t deep condition enough.

Besides oil, would you recommend using the petroleum/mineral based products like TCB or any other that are not water-based? I was thinking about adding a bit of that to the ends.

westNDNbeauty January 3, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I haven’t used that brand before, but if that is all you have, try it. It may work.

Ashley January 3, 2013 at 11:23 am

I will start the LOC method this year.. I feel like I’ve done well at retaining length but it’s not growing.. thanks for this!

westNDNbeauty January 4, 2013 at 11:07 am

You’re very welcome Ashley!

AmeeraNakisha January 3, 2013 at 11:55 pm

I never knew you could use Almond oil on hair. I love the way that stuff smells! Do you buy this at Whole Foods?

westNDNbeauty January 4, 2013 at 11:10 am

Yup! Sweet almond oil can be used in hair. In fact it is an ingredient in one of my fav oil from Eden Body Works. Be careful though. I don’t think the food-grade version has the vitamin E preservative so they may spoil faster.

AmeeraNakisha January 10, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I am going to try it because I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the way almond oil smells!

Chandra January 5, 2013 at 2:09 am

I saw this video and loved it.. I’m sure i’ve done this on accident before? Now I try it on purpose. I love your hair it looks so light and Soft!

westNDNbeauty January 30, 2013 at 7:51 am

Thanks Chandra!

HonestlyErica January 6, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Thank you for featuring my video! And I must agree, your hair does always look moisturized and bouncy.

westNDNbeauty January 7, 2013 at 4:18 pm

No prob doll! And thanks 🙂

Jozlyn February 5, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I love the L.O.C Method!!! I use diluted wave nouveau, grapeseed oil and Shea Moisture Butter. “A-MAZING”

Amy February 6, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Hello West I have a question.
What I’m doing as a LOC is this: Every morning and before bed I spray water or a spritz (1/2 aloe vera juice +1/2 water) over my hair.Every two or three days I moisturize my hair with water and follow by the leaving conditioner , follow by an oil mixture (jojoba oil, castor oil, olive oil, avocado oil, sweet almond oil, vitamin e oil) and finally my creamy shea butter.
Even with that my hair is still dry and difficult to manipulate. And my hair is all the time in a twisting style.
PS: I leave in a very cold zone
I notice that I wasn’t deep condition my hair a lot and may be that’s the reason.
Please help. Thank you

Antoinette Frussinetty March 29, 2014 at 8:49 am

Very good video. So I just realized that I have been unknowingly doing the “LCO” method, lol. I apply my water and aloe Vera juice mix, then olive oil and mango butter moisturizer then finally my coconut oil. I’m new at transitioning so I have no clue what I’m doing. Is it ok to continue using the EVCO or should I change it to another oil? NI’ll also switch the order of the products around so I can follow the “LOC” method, lol. One more question, would you recommend using the Miss Jessie’s Pillow Soft curls gel to help hold and define curls from braid outs and twist outs?

Anya Oliver June 22, 2014 at 9:55 am

AFTER USING THE LOC METHOD…HOW DO I MOISTURIZE DAILY UNTIL WASH DAY??

westNDNbeauty June 25, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Throughout the week I duplicate the loc process whenever my hair feels like it may need moisture.