40 Black Celebrities with Naturally Kinky Hair

by West Parsons on July 11, 2013 · 29 comments

in celebrities, curls kinks coils

brandy_naturalhairBrandyNorwood| Musical artist, actress, and long time protective styler ūüôā

nicole_naturalhairNicole Ari Parker| Best known as co-star of Showtimes’s hit series, Soul Food.

kekepalmer_naturalhairKeke Palmer| Currently co-staring in 90210 and best known as the Akeelah in Akeelah and the Bee.

dawnrichards_naturalDawn Richard | Debuted on MTV’s Making the Band and is now a solo artist.

michellewilliams_naturalhairMichelle Williams| Best known as a member of the super group, Destiny’s Child.

Rasheeda Frost| Best known for staring in the reality show, Love & Hip Hop Atlanta

Other Celebs w/ Natural Hair
Angela Simmons,¬†Janelle Monae,¬†Toya Wright,¬†Solange,¬†Beyonce,¬†T’Keyah Crystal Kemah,¬†Yaya Dacosta,¬†Alycia Keys,¬†Kim Wayans,¬†Marsha Ambrosious,¬†Eryka Badu,¬†Kelis,¬†Tankia Ray,¬†Leela James,¬†Esperanza Spalding,¬†Ledesi,¬†India arie,¬†Corine Bailey Rae,¬†Goapele,¬†¬†Keyshia Knight Pulliam,¬†Chrisette Michele, ¬†Kimberly Elise,¬†Dominique Dawes,¬†Lil Momma,¬†Tianna Taylor,¬†Melissa Harris-Perry,¬†Syesha Mercado,¬†Yvette Nicole Brown,¬†Sherry Shepherd,¬†Elle Varner,¬†Amel Larrieux,¬†Sheree Whitfield,¬†Macy Gray, Mary Mary (both members), Tracee Ellis Ross, Kim Coles, Jennifer Lewis

Update 7/17/13: Brandy’s afro featured above has been rumored to be a weave or wig.

Did I miss anyone?

goodlooknout July 11, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Wayyyyy more than I thought!

Chantelle July 12, 2013 at 7:53 am

Great inspiration from all the celebrities, I think it really demonstrates the importance of the natural hair movement aswell!

The Frugal Exerciser July 12, 2013 at 8:11 am

This doesn’t mean anything to me but the message that your natural hair should be hidden from the public. When they stop wearing those weaves and walk out their door with natural hair, is when I think there has been a movement of celebrities having and wearing the hair God gave them.

curlycue July 13, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I agree!

laetitia July 12, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Wow…I love Brandy’s hair.

Tamara July 13, 2013 at 1:59 am

Tia Mowry-Hardrict

curlycue July 13, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Great, but why hide it? Why not rock it on the red carpet like Viola Davis did?!?!?!?!?!

mandy July 14, 2013 at 11:49 pm

beyonce has natural hair? do you have any pics?

westNDNbeauty July 15, 2013 at 12:49 am

No, but there have statements made by her stylist some time back.

sandy July 16, 2013 at 10:49 am

Brandy’s hair looks FANTASTIC. Real? Not sure. I suspect it’s a weave from the “weavologist”, Kim Kimble. Of all the stars pictured, she is the only one who has never acknowledged being natural. Looks great, though.

LaToya August 13, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Brandy has recently acknowledged that she is natural on IG.

Stephanie Severin JL July 16, 2013 at 3:08 pm

I agree with you, what’s the point of hidden the beauty of your natural hair. Protective styles are good but it’s like an everyday thing for most of them. Let me see some of them rock their natural hair on the red carpet or some important events.

deb b July 17, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Soul Food the series was a hit show on Showtime not HBO.

westNDNbeauty July 17, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Thanks. I’ll update that.

Kjay August 29, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Keke Palmer has my texture. Someone who doesn’t have kinks! I’m not alone (i can never get my hair to curl & kink)

LaJuan August 29, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Tarahji P. Henson and she wears hers out pretty often. I also agree with the previous posters who say why highlight these women just because the hair the wear under their regular weaves is natural. But thanks for sharing…

westNDNbeauty August 30, 2013 at 7:55 am

I understand the sentiments some have about their hair being hidden often so being recognized for having natural hair should not happen BUT think about this: if you were a celebrity and were actively involved in situations where your natural hair had to be manipulated into a new style multiple times a week or even everyday, would you be ok with that? For some, the weaves may be a crutch, but for others it is not. It’s a means to keep the hair they have on their head.

LdyGodiva254 October 16, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I agree. These women probably find it convenient to wear weaves in order to maintain healthy hair instead of it being transformed every time an event occurs (i.e. something as simple as a photo shoot in the day to an awards event that same night). However, it would be nice to see them rock their natural hair more often as a way to offset mainstream cultural aspects of beauty. I definitely had to give kudos to Viola Davis for sporting her natural at the Oscars this year.

Guest001 January 6, 2014 at 6:12 pm

If I were a celebrity and proud of my natural hair I’d wear it outside, like Corrine Bailey Rae, Esperanza Spaulding, Solange, Jill Scott and any other number of women do when they’re off the clock, so to speak. Naomie Harris, Grace Jones, Halle Berry – black women with natural hair all good enough for James Bond.

What these undercover naturals are telling our daughters that red carpet=straight and natural hair is best kept in the bathroom and the basement.

LdyGodiva254 October 16, 2013 at 6:25 pm

An excellent way to create camaraderie with Natural sistas by naming these women. How about Tracy Ellis Ross?

westNDNbeauty October 21, 2013 at 1:08 pm

How could I forget about Joan Clayton!

Lucky October 30, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Jill Scott
Kim Coles
Jennifer Lewis

For a while, Janet Jackson was rumored to be natural.

Tanisha November 1, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Nicki minaj

Port November 14, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Why the ugly facial expressions when taking a photo with your natural hair? You’re smiling when it’s smooth and straight then making an ugly face when it’s natural as if to say you’re ugly. It’s annoying. (Keke Palmer and others I’ve seen not mentioned here have done this ugly facial expression natural hair selfie thing).

Elle December 4, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Add these names to your list… Viola Davis, Wanda Sykes, Jill Scott, Quest Love, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Quvenzhane Wallis, Adepero Oduye, Kerry Washington, Loretta Devine, Kim Fields, Monica Calhoun, Teyonah Parris, Persia White, Tempestt Bledsoe, Raven Symone, Lisa Bonet, Lenny Kravitz, Savion Glover, Maxwell, Idris Alba, Kadeem Hardison, BethAnn Hardison, Malcolm Jamal Warner, Chaka Khan, Vanessa Williams, NYC Mayor Elect DeBlasio’s wife Chirlane and children Dante and Chiara, Toni Morrison, Iyanla Vanzant, Gabrielle Union, Tia Mowry Hardict and Oprah. There are many many more……

Ebony December 7, 2013 at 12:33 am

Keshia Knight Pulliam

Ebony December 7, 2013 at 12:35 am

Sorry, only the pics showed up originally. After post, page refreshed and showed your continued list.

Ola Dania March 1, 2014 at 9:01 am

Under all that weave is a bundle of lovely hair.

CIARA April 22, 2015 at 6:14 am