How To| Make Fresh Coconut Oil at Home

by West Parsons on August 13, 2013 · 23 comments

in recipes

coconut oil 1

On a recent family retreat, one of my Great Aunts traveled with her personal stash of homemade coconut oil, which she made just before leaving Tortola (the island where I’m from). Her chocolate skin glistening and smelling so tropical!  Then I remembered SageRoots’ coconut oil tutorial and said “hey, why not!”

Here’s what went down in my kitchen:

coconut oil 2

1. I cracked 2 small coconuts (outside on concrete) and grated the meat using a spoon and a knife. I’m sure there is a easier method to gather the meat, but after two episodes of Moesha while doing this, my hands were out of commission for the rest of the night.

coconut oil 3

2. I blended the coconut meat and COLD water until the coconut pieces were fine.

coconut oil 4

3. I improvised and strained using this gadget. A cheese cloth is preferable.

coconut oil 5

4. In attempts to get as much milk as possible, I followed up by squeezing the coconut meat with my hands.

coconut oil 6

5. What’s left is coconut milk. After a few hours of sitting on the counter, the cream rose to the top. I placed the covered pot in the refrigerator overnight. This allowed the cream to slightly solidify.

coconut oil 7

6. Twenty-Four hours later I slice the cream to make the scooping and transferring the cream to another pot easier.

coconut oil 8

7. I simmered the cream for approximately 30 minutes on low, stirring often.

coconut oil 98. After a while, it looked like this. Once the remnants turned brown I turned off the stove and scooped the oil into a jar.

READ MORE: My Review and Experience with My Homemade Coconut Oil

Yes! It was a heap of work, but I’m curious to see how this oil performs as compared to store-bought. When I consider the inexpensive price of some coconut oils that I’ve purchased and this this tedious process, I’m expecting this homemade joint to moisturize like not other since I know water-milled coconut oil costs a grip! But if you’d prefer to forego all of this work, Tropical Traditions uses the same process and you can buy their Gold Label Virgin Oil !

Be sure to check out Benefits of Coconut Oil on Black Hair and Coconut Oil Moisturizes, Seals & Cures Common Illnesses? !

Have you ever made coconut oil from scratch?

AmeeraNakisha August 13, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Wow thats awesome. You better work…Pun intended.

I know you could probably buy virgin oil from Whole Foods for under $10 but I would so do this. Im a “from scratch” girl like that LOL

westNDNbeauty August 13, 2013 at 11:05 pm

lol work is what I did, indeed!

The Frugal Exerciser August 14, 2013 at 10:29 am

Too much work for me LOL. My husband buys the coconut and we eat it from time to time. The coconut provides a lot of fiber so if you are looking for natural fiber, eat coco meat.

westNDNbeauty August 14, 2013 at 5:08 pm

lol girl you are right. It is a lot of work. I love the meat as well. It’s great when its super fresh and in a jelly form.

Stephanie Severin JL August 14, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I’m from the island as well but left there a while ago. I remember when I used to go for vacation in the country side and my dad’s cousin would make coconut oil. I could smells right now :-). In my opinion it smells better and is way lighter than what I buy in stores. I think I’m gonna try this.

Marta Daniels August 14, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Wow, how did you learn to make that? Keep us posted on whether you like it better than store bought. I’m a “kitchen beautician” too, so I applaud you! God bless!

westNDNbeauty September 16, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Hey there! My aunts just explained the process and I tried it. And I really do like it better than store bought. There is a huge difference in my opinion.

Courtney September 15, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Wow! I am super impressed! I didn’t even know it was possible to make coconut oil at home! I would love to try this but sadly, I have yet to even crack open a coconut successfully. :-{ One day, tho, one day! Thank you for the tutorial!

westNDNbeauty September 16, 2013 at 6:13 am

Girl I bought the nut (brown part only) and threw that bad boy against concrete and WALA! Lol

JanaeJanaeJanae September 16, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Hi there, how many coconuts did you use & approximately how much oil did it produce?

westNDNbeauty September 16, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Hey! Above you’ll see that I stated 2 coconuts were used, which yielded the 1.5 oz you see in the first photos. Thanks for stopping by!

Jarmelia- Lia Naturals Handmade Soap January 22, 2014 at 11:42 pm

I’ve never made Coconut Oil from scratch but, I a close friend of mine did. She said she didn’t notice a difference in it and store bought Coconut Oil.

I am thinking this way would be most beneficial for those who take coconut oil internally.

Vestina January 31, 2014 at 4:20 am

Thanks for sharing this. I tried it and it worked. I am so proud

westNDNbeauty January 31, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Awesome! Glad my directions were clear :-)

M. Brathwaite February 26, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Can this oil be used for frying?

westNDNbeauty February 27, 2014 at 6:59 am

I and many others use a small amount to sauté, but I don’t think I would ever fill a fryer with coconut oil and go to town.

Monica March 25, 2014 at 4:12 am

Love your post!

I’m actually in the process of doing this right now. In your last step – did you strain out the brown parts or just put everything in to a jar. Hope you can help!

deepika goyal April 13, 2014 at 9:46 am

hey i did the same thing but the cream didnt settled on the top. tell me wha to do plz.

westNDNbeauty April 14, 2014 at 12:30 am

Hi There, if you gave it enough time to settle and the cream did not separate from the water, that could mean the contents of your milk was not concentrated enough. Try processing the the coconut meat again.

Marie Young April 19, 2014 at 10:09 pm

calling it meat sounds so weird! I don’t think I’d do this at home, my kids would have those balls hidden everywhere hahahaha, but I will come over to your house and try it! tee hee

rachal July 29, 2014 at 11:46 am

wow am going to give it a try.

raimi September 3, 2014 at 12:54 am

hey there. was just wondering how long can this oil last? expiration i mean. a week? a month? thanks (:

West Parsons September 12, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I used my oil completely within 3 months. I would suspect that it lasts a long as any other coconut oil considering all of the water content is removed properly.