How To| Make Fresh Coconut Oil at Home

by West Parsons on August 13, 2013 · 45 comments

in recipes

coconut oil 1

On a recent family retreat, one of my Great Aunts traveled with her personal stash of homemade coconut oil, which she made just before leaving Tortola (the island where I’m from). Her chocolate skin glistening and smelling so tropical!  Then I remembered SageRoots’ coconut oil tutorial and said “hey, why not!”

Here’s what went down in my kitchen:

coconut oil 2

1. I cracked 2 small coconuts (outside on concrete) and grated the meat using a spoon and a knife. I’m sure there is a easier method to gather the meat, but after two episodes of Moesha while doing this, my hands were out of commission for the rest of the night.

coconut oil 3

2. I blended the coconut meat and COLD water until the coconut pieces were fine.

coconut oil 4

3. I improvised and strained using this gadget. A cheese cloth is preferable.

coconut oil 5

4. In attempts to get as much milk as possible, I followed up by squeezing the coconut meat with my hands.

coconut oil 6

5. What’s left is coconut milk. After a few hours of sitting on the counter, the cream rose to the top. I placed the covered pot in the refrigerator overnight. This allowed the cream to slightly solidify.

coconut oil 7

6. Twenty-Four hours later I slice the cream to make the scooping and transferring the cream to another pot easier.

coconut oil 8

7. I simmered the cream for approximately 30 minutes on low, stirring often.

coconut oil 98. After a while, it looked like this. Once the remnants turned brown I turned off the stove and scooped the oil into a jar.

READ MORE: My Review and Experience with My Homemade Coconut Oil

Yes! It was a heap of work, but I’m curious to see how this oil performs as compared to store-bought. When I consider the inexpensive price of some coconut oils that I’ve purchased and this this tedious process, I’m expecting this homemade joint to moisturize like not other since I know water-milled coconut oil costs a grip! But if you’d prefer to forego all of this work, Tropical Traditions uses the same process and you can buy their Gold Label Virgin Oil !

Be sure to check out Benefits of Coconut Oil on Black Hair and Coconut Oil Moisturizes, Seals & Cures Common Illnesses? !

Have you ever made coconut oil from scratch?

AmeeraNakisha August 13, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Wow thats awesome. You better work…Pun intended.

I know you could probably buy virgin oil from Whole Foods for under $10 but I would so do this. Im a “from scratch” girl like that LOL

westNDNbeauty August 13, 2013 at 11:05 pm

lol work is what I did, indeed!

The Frugal Exerciser August 14, 2013 at 10:29 am

Too much work for me LOL. My husband buys the coconut and we eat it from time to time. The coconut provides a lot of fiber so if you are looking for natural fiber, eat coco meat.

westNDNbeauty August 14, 2013 at 5:08 pm

lol girl you are right. It is a lot of work. I love the meat as well. It’s great when its super fresh and in a jelly form.

Stephanie Severin JL August 14, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I’m from the island as well but left there a while ago. I remember when I used to go for vacation in the country side and my dad’s cousin would make coconut oil. I could smells right now :-). In my opinion it smells better and is way lighter than what I buy in stores. I think I’m gonna try this.

Marta Daniels August 14, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Wow, how did you learn to make that? Keep us posted on whether you like it better than store bought. I’m a “kitchen beautician” too, so I applaud you! God bless!

westNDNbeauty September 16, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Hey there! My aunts just explained the process and I tried it. And I really do like it better than store bought. There is a huge difference in my opinion.

Courtney September 15, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Wow! I am super impressed! I didn’t even know it was possible to make coconut oil at home! I would love to try this but sadly, I have yet to even crack open a coconut successfully. :-{ One day, tho, one day! Thank you for the tutorial!

westNDNbeauty September 16, 2013 at 6:13 am

Girl I bought the nut (brown part only) and threw that bad boy against concrete and WALA! Lol

JanaeJanaeJanae September 16, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Hi there, how many coconuts did you use & approximately how much oil did it produce?

westNDNbeauty September 16, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Hey! Above you’ll see that I stated 2 coconuts were used, which yielded the 1.5 oz you see in the first photos. Thanks for stopping by!

Jarmelia- Lia Naturals Handmade Soap January 22, 2014 at 11:42 pm

I’ve never made Coconut Oil from scratch but, I a close friend of mine did. She said she didn’t notice a difference in it and store bought Coconut Oil.

I am thinking this way would be most beneficial for those who take coconut oil internally.

Vestina January 31, 2014 at 4:20 am

Thanks for sharing this. I tried it and it worked. I am so proud

westNDNbeauty January 31, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Awesome! Glad my directions were clear :-)

M. Brathwaite February 26, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Can this oil be used for frying?

westNDNbeauty February 27, 2014 at 6:59 am

I and many others use a small amount to sauté, but I don’t think I would ever fill a fryer with coconut oil and go to town.

Monica March 25, 2014 at 4:12 am

Love your post!

I’m actually in the process of doing this right now. In your last step – did you strain out the brown parts or just put everything in to a jar. Hope you can help!

deepika goyal April 13, 2014 at 9:46 am

hey i did the same thing but the cream didnt settled on the top. tell me wha to do plz.

westNDNbeauty April 14, 2014 at 12:30 am

Hi There, if you gave it enough time to settle and the cream did not separate from the water, that could mean the contents of your milk was not concentrated enough. Try processing the the coconut meat again.

Marie Young April 19, 2014 at 10:09 pm

calling it meat sounds so weird! I don’t think I’d do this at home, my kids would have those balls hidden everywhere hahahaha, but I will come over to your house and try it! tee hee

rachal July 29, 2014 at 11:46 am

wow am going to give it a try.

raimi September 3, 2014 at 12:54 am

hey there. was just wondering how long can this oil last? expiration i mean. a week? a month? thanks (:

West Parsons September 12, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I used my oil completely within 3 months. I would suspect that it lasts a long as any other coconut oil considering all of the water content is removed properly.

Kevin October 1, 2014 at 11:55 pm

After all that work, it was sad to see you cook that oil and refine it. Was looking for a way to make healthy natural raw coconut oil.

West Parsons October 4, 2014 at 11:15 am

Maybe you should google cold press coconut oil.

Mary October 16, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Just posted how I make fresh coconut butter without cooking.

Mary October 16, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Here in Costa Rica, many coconuts go to waste on the ground. They have a thick , tough outside husk, which, if you’re an old lady like me is most easily removed by holding the coconut in one hand and a machete in the other while smiling helplessly at the little boy who came over to see if you made cookies today…more than a fair trade. Once it’s down to the hard hairy shell, pop it into a hot oven without piercing the eyes; it will crack open and the meat comes out easily. Do this on a pan; if the meat cracks, the water will leak out. Empty out the juice and dump it in a blender. Peel off the brown skin with a potato peeler and put the white meat in the blender. Add a little water if there wasn’t much juice and blend the heck out of it, I blend it until the coconut is almost as fine as cornmeal and use the “snow” as breading for seafood and such. Strain it all through a very fine sieve and re-blend the liquid with some ice. Let it set a few minutes and. presto, the coconut butter congeals on top like the fat on cold soup. There should be a nice thick layer of butter that lifts right off and the “milk” is very nice for cooking or putting in bread-dough, or many other things. It’s supposedly very good for your liver and kidneys, to get rid of stomach worms, and to rehydrate one very quickly.

Dada Augustian October 30, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Thank u for this post,it is really helpful.

Victoria January 17, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Hi,

I recently made my first batch of coconut oil. I didn’t cool it in the fridge but instead just heated on high to brown off the curd, as other methods talk about. My oil never really solidified afterwards unlike many you can buy in the market, and just a couple of days later I’m noticing that it is starting to smell. Has this ever happened to you and how can I prevent this in the future?

Thanks!

West Parsons January 23, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Sound like there is still water in your batch. Next time boil it longer.

filo-mei January 20, 2015 at 2:09 am

This is awesome great & simple!!

Victoria April 9, 2015 at 4:30 pm

thanks for the tip it was very useful

Beth April 21, 2015 at 6:36 am

I know from experience, there is an easier way to get the meat out.
First drain the coconut water from one of the eyes (one is always soft…use your knife to make a hole.) If you are going to stop at coconut milk…use this as part of your water. To get the meat out of the shell, either put the coconut in the oven on low until they crack OR (this is what I do) place them directly on the gas burner of your stove…turning them regularly until they crack. 5 to 10 minutes. This dries the meat enough for it shrink it away from the shell. Cover the coconut with a towel (something you don’t mind messing up) and break it up with a hammer. The meat will come off the pieces of shell much easier and your hands will be saved all that pain! If there is a little brown on the meat (from the inside of the shell) no problem, you’ll be straining that off anyway BUT if you want it off, use a vegetable peeler.

Also, if you spread the meat that you strained out onto a cookie sheet in thin layers and put it in the oven for a while (not sure how long but just until it is starting to turn brown), you can grind that in a food processor to make coconut flower (it needs to be quite dry) OR (this is what I do) make coconut macaroons out of it!

Hope these tips make your next try easier!

oluwaseun May 3, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Hi there, I did the coconut oil as u instructed but wen I remove it out of d fridge nd I slice d cream, I saw water under instead of oil. And I even simmered d water whether oil will come bt is still water. Pls wat happen nd give me solution to it. Thanks

West Parsons May 25, 2015 at 6:54 pm

You probably needed to boil it for a longer. I would put it back on the heat so that the remaining water can evaporate.

Navjot Waraich May 30, 2015 at 9:50 pm

How much oil does 2 coconuts yield?

Taye June 5, 2015 at 5:37 am

I love this and will try it and get back to you. I am a lover of coconut oil. I have used this oil for my body and lip for the past two years and the result is amazing. Thanks.

gordon youngchi July 15, 2015 at 10:57 am

thanks for sharing, useful information.

pat July 30, 2015 at 6:55 pm

author so is it about 1 tbsp of oil per coconut?

West Parsons August 25, 2015 at 8:43 pm

How much oil you get depends on the size of the coconut.

Temmy August 10, 2015 at 12:02 am

I want to try this today. But can the milk solidify without putting it in fridge? and when it solidifies do I heat it to get the oil?

West Parsons August 25, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Like any other coconut oil, if the temperature is low enough, it will solidify.

sue August 14, 2015 at 6:20 am

Im going to try.thanks for the receipe

Ran August 16, 2015 at 6:34 am

In my place, you can buy coconuts in markets and have them shaved there. After you get the fine meat, you have to wet it warm water, mix it around and start pressing the juice/milk out on a bowl, strain it out then proceed right away to heating it until you get curdles. Keep mixing or stirring until it gets brown. You can eat the curdle btw. you can add a bit of salt when you boil the coconut milk so it would get better taste. We use it as toppings on some delicacies here. Coconut trees are called tree of life so there shouldn’t be anything you can throw out :)

stephanie August 22, 2015 at 5:40 am

I will try it for the first time