The Business Behind Hair Vitamins: Do They Really Work?

by West Parsons on July 10, 2014 · 7 comments

in hair care

do_hair_vitamins_work

affiliate_black

Before ingesting anything, especially when not federally regulated, objective research is necessary.  Along this journey of healthy hair, many of us have become more conscious of  what we put in and on our bodies, though, somehow that awareness goes out the window when it comes to hair growth vitamins. With the bombardment of celebrities endorsing Hairfinity ($43) and the before/after photos of  Manetabolism ($30) on Instagram, many of us have been sent into a hair growth tizzy! The desire for length has become incessant and Rapunzul is just one bottle away. Or is it?

Do they really work? The long and short is supplements provide your body with nutrients, minerals, and vitamins  (duh) which may be missing in your diet — if your have deficiencies. For some of us, that is the case and consuming nutritional supplements is necessary, but for others, not so much. When you have a well-balanced diet, your body does not absorb extra vitamins, it is excreted when you urinate.

@Jouelzy does a great job of increasing our awareness in her #SmartBrownGirl kind of way, helping us be more objective of these products, especially with the marketing tactics some vendors employ #KnowledgeIsPower!

Subscribe to Jouelzy on YouTube  |  Read Jouelzy’s article on EBONY

INEXPENSIVE HAIR VITAMIN ALTERNATIVES
Now a little more enlightened, we know most, if not all, hair vitamins are comprised of two ingredients which promote the growth of hair — biotin and methylsulfonylmethane  (MSM). Why the high price? Unfortunately, I don’t have answer.

Purchasing a 4 month supply of high dosage biotin and MSM is significantly less expensive than one bottle of designer hair vitamins (Hairfinity, Manetabolism, Viviscal).

Enlarge the image below to find out exactly how much biotin is actually contained in each of these products.

hairvitamins_supplement

Do you take any hair vitamins?

Tomes Edition July 10, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I seriously don’t buy the hype of these hair booting vitamins. A great eye opener article!

sandy July 10, 2014 at 10:19 pm

I don’t take designer hair vitamins, for many of the reasons that you mention: 1) they are part of an unregulated industry, and you really have no idea what you are ingesting and how the supplements will affect your health; b) I would rather spend the money buying fruits and vegetables with which to nourish my body. Also, I am offended by the marketing strategies of many of these companies.

Joan B. in S. C. July 11, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Due to different vitamin/mineral deficiencies, my gen practioner and gyno have put me on a couple of vitamin supplements. Due to alopecia, I was also put on a high dose of biotin. Either it’s the vitamins or closer attention to my hair or both that has helped. The gen practioner told me to buy OTC vitamins because prescription would cost more. I buy them only on BOGO free sales or Black Friday/Cyber Monday. As long as I have no health problems from the vitamins, I intend to continue taking them.

Harlem August 17, 2014 at 7:49 pm

I only take a multivitamin. I used to take Biotin and MSM but it made my skin break out so I stopped

Kay August 26, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I have a box of vitamins sitting in my closet now that I haven’t touched yet, brand new. I’m still doing my research.

I have no doubt they’ll boost growth but I’m concerned about the massive amounts of each nutrient being used. There has to be some kind of consequences to the overload.

I also have a super crappy diet, and I’m sure that simply working on improving it will give me many of the same results these vitamins will.

Like I said, still researching…

Janet October 15, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Thanks for the information on Vitamins. I have heard about them but did not they really worked.

FRANCIS GRACE March 3, 2015 at 7:10 am

Too bad that we have to order them online,
Pls can someone honestly tell us the side effect, what happens when one decides to stop using it?
will the grown hair fall out?