College Student’s Bargain Hair Weave Lead to Serious Bacterial Scalp Infection

by West Parsons on August 24, 2014 · 5 comments

in in the news

Two weeks after installing an inexpensive hair weave, Brittney Dever, 22 never thought she’d be waking up to a nauseating stench and a bloody scalp.

This college student from Houston Texas said “I went to someone’s house. She installed a weave-in cap in my hair… Two weeks later later I was lying down and there as blood on my pillow.” As she began removing the hair extensions, her own hair came out too. A severe abscess formed at the crown of her scalp, making it prone to infection and permanent hair loss.

Tameka Fletcher, cosmetologist and owner of Natural Resources Salon in Houston Texas says, this was as a result of the weave being pulled too tight, causing tears in her scalp.

Dever’s advice to others:

Go to a salon, that’s sanitary, that’s clean. It’s worth spending the extra money because you get what you pay for. Going to someone’s home to get the extra service may not be the best idea. You can end up losing instead of gaining,” Dever said.

What questions do you have for Brittney?


Nakia August 25, 2014 at 3:07 am

Wow! This is very scary and very sad! I am a witness to the fact that weaves can do terrible things to your hair and leave severe damage. It is unfortunate that this happened to her but definitely and eye opener to be more careful when using fake hair. saying a prayer for her!!

Thanks for sharing!

The Frugal Exerciser August 25, 2014 at 3:09 pm

The funny thing, she looks better in natural hair. Anyway, she should save her money and in a few years, she should get a hair transplant.

Kay August 26, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I don’t have any questions. Just want to say that I’m sorry you had to go through this, Brittney. Those pictures were painful to look at. I hope you]re able to get your hair back to a healthy state.

Such a pretty girl BTW. Natural hair looks fab on you.

rockcityqueen1 August 28, 2014 at 3:23 am

Why wouldn’t she say something to the “stylist” if the sew-in was too tight? Was this “stylist” licensed or was this a friend’s home girls sister’s cousin that knows how to do a good sew-in for the low? Sometimes going the inexpensive route is not always best. It’s sad that she lost her hair because of this.

Lindsay April 16, 2015 at 2:08 pm


I’m a casting director casting a new show for Wendy Williams Productions. I am currently working on a network pilot presentation for We TV. It is a salon intervention show with a celeb stylist as the host.

We are looking to feature a black female that has had their scalp damaged because of the carelessness on the part of a salon stylist. In other words, they are in need of expert hair replacement through no fault of their own. I would love to interview Brittney ASAP. Please email me at

Thanks so much!